What are the Best Strategies for Studying for the Physics GRE?

In summary, the conversation discusses preparing for the Physics GRE and recommends taking the test under timed conditions. It also suggests using textbooks by Griffiths for quantum and electrodynamics, and mentions other standard tomes for mechanics, relativity, and statistical mechanics/thermodynamics. The speakers also advise taking practice tests under strict test conditions and using them to identify areas for improvement before taking the test again.
bjnartowt
Hi all, I am going to take the Physics GRE, which I think is offered in October 2010. I have some questions:

1) Given that the GRE takes a noticeable amount of material from Griffiths-texts: I was wondering how much of Griffithe electrodynamics and Griffiths quantum I could skip while preparing...or if reading The Whole Book is the only adequate preparation. I have had a course using electrodynamics of Griffiths, but not quantum of Griffiths, so I was interested in what material out of quantum. However: electrodynamics-recommendations are handy too, so don't let those go untyped/unmentioned. (E.g., I'm guessing variation of parameters won't be on Physics GRE, but the conclusions it gives us about helium WILL be...?)

2) There are 4 public-domain physics GRE tests. Should I:
a) take the whole 100-question test, and simulate real-test-day conditions, OR
b) divy up the questions into subject-matter (e.g., give myself a "Classical Mechanics" test only) so I can better gauge my weaknesses in each field?

3) Griffiths quantum and griffiths electrodynamics are the standard tomes for Physics GRE fodder. Any standard tomes for mechanics (marion/thornton, taylor, or Morin's book?), relativity (Taylor/Wheeler), statistical mechanics/thermo (Reif ...?), and the other topics? I want a bare-minimum reading list...

thanks! bjn

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I was a big fan of trying to take the test under timed conditions.

Here is the thing: the Physics GRE requires an *immense* amount of test taking skill, aside from all of the physics knowledge. If you don't know a question, skip it. If your answer doesn't agree with one of the choices, skip it. DO NOT LOOK FOR YOUR ERRORS! First priority has to be seeing all of the questions.

Time flies when you are having fun...

Dont waste the practice test by thumbing through them. Take one under strict test conditions, then spend a few weeks studying on the concepts you got wrong and how you can improve. Then take another one under strict test conditions and repeat.

I think its very useful to take the test under test conditions, the more you do that the more familiar it will be when you take the real one.

1. What topics should I focus on when studying for the Physics GRE?

The Physics GRE covers a wide range of topics, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and optics. It is important to have a good understanding of all of these topics, but it is also important to prioritize your studying based on your strengths and weaknesses. You may want to spend more time on the topics that you struggle with, but don't neglect any of the other topics completely.

2. What are some helpful resources for studying for the Physics GRE?

There are many resources available for studying for the Physics GRE, including review books, practice exams, and online study materials. Some popular review books include the Princeton Review's "Cracking the GRE Physics Test" and the Barron's "GRE Physics" book. Additionally, there are several websites that offer free practice exams and study guides, such as the GRE Physics Help website.

3. How should I approach studying for the Physics GRE?

It is important to create a study plan and stick to it. Make sure to allocate enough time for each topic, and regularly review material that you have already studied. It can also be helpful to form a study group with other students who are also preparing for the exam. Additionally, it is important to practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with the format of the exam.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong math background to do well on the Physics GRE?

While a strong math background is certainly helpful for the Physics GRE, it is not the only factor that determines success on the exam. It is important to have a good understanding of mathematical concepts such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations, but it is also important to have a solid understanding of the physics concepts and how to apply them to problem solving.

5. How important is time management during the Physics GRE?

Time management is crucial for success on the Physics GRE. The exam is timed, with 100 multiple-choice questions to be completed in 170 minutes. This means you have an average of 1 minute and 42 seconds per question. It is important to practice solving problems within this time frame to ensure that you can complete the exam within the allotted time. Additionally, make sure to pace yourself and not spend too much time on any one question.