Can You Solve Physics GRE Problem #28 Using an Oscilloscope?

In summary, the question is asking for the frequency of the low-frequency component of a signal. The answer is 500 Hz.
quantumworld
GRE GRE GRE... I need some help :blushing:

this question is kinda of experimental question, dealing with oscilloscope, I tried to work it by calculating the beat, but it didn't work out...
may I provide the link to the question, because there is figure that follows it,
it is page 26, number 28.
http://phys.columbia.edu/~hbar/Physics-GRE.pdf
I am really stuck at it... thought about it for a long time.

Many thanks for all efforts

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can tell the signal is one low-frequency sinusoid with another, smaller, higher-frequency sinusoid added to it. The minimum of the low-frequency component is right around 2 cm, at about 1.5 divisions (3V), while the maximum is right around 5 cm, at about 4 divisions (8V). That means the signal is 5V peak-to-peak, or has an amplitude of 5/2 = 2.5V. There is only one answer which fits this, choice D.

You can double check this answer easily. The second component certainly does have an amplitude of about 1.25V, 2.5V peak-to-peak, or a little over one division peak-to-peak. Also, there seem to be about six cycles of the high frequency component for every one cycle of the low-frequency component, so 83:500 Hz seems like the correct ratio.

You could go a step further and calculate the frequency of the low-frequency component. It appears to be about 5 cm per cycle, or about 2.5 milliseconds per cycle, or about 1/0.0025 = 400 Hz. The frequency given in choice D, 500 Hz, is probably close enough for comfort. (I wouldn't do all these checks on the test to avoid wasting time, but, if you're really not confident in your first answer, they will help.)

- Warren

Thank you Warren for your reply,
I could see your explanation, if I thought of the low frequency sinusoid as the average of the given graph, and the high frequency sinuoid as the wiggling of it. My problem was trying to distinguish which is which, because they are already blended.

THanks again, and please correct me if I was wrong.

That's a reasonable way to think of it.

- Warren

1. What is the topic of Physics GRE Problem # 28?

Physics GRE Problem # 28 covers the topic of classical mechanics, specifically the principles of kinematics and dynamics.

2. What is the difficulty level of Physics GRE Problem # 28?

Physics GRE Problem # 28 is considered to be of medium difficulty, as it requires a solid understanding of basic principles and equations in classical mechanics.

3. Can you provide an example of a similar problem to Physics GRE Problem # 28?

A similar problem to Physics GRE Problem # 28 would be one that involves a projectile launched at an angle with initial velocity and acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the best approach to solving Physics GRE Problem # 28?

The best approach to solving Physics GRE Problem # 28 is to first identify the given variables and known equations, then apply the appropriate principles and solve for the unknown variable.

5. Are there any common mistakes that students make when attempting Physics GRE Problem # 28?

One common mistake students make when attempting Physics GRE Problem # 28 is not carefully labeling and organizing their variables and equations, leading to errors in the solution. It is also important to pay attention to units and conversions throughout the problem.