Where Can I Find Previous Physics GRE Exams in PDF Format?

In summary: This website has solutions and practice tests for all the past GRE exams, including the 5th released test (2008).
MichalXC
Hi guys,

I'm a first-semester junior seeking some quality study resources relevant to the physics GRE. I've heard that ETS has released a few exams from past years...

Where (if anywhere) can I find the previous exams in some reasonable format, like PDF? The best I can find is this website: http://grephysics.net/ans/. IMHO the way the they've organized the questions and solutions is really unpleasant (http://grephysics.net/ans/all-solutions_list.php). Surely ETS released the tests (with solutions?) in their original format, no? I can't find anything like this anywhere on the Internet.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if ETS has released the tests or not, but I am sure they are not available for free, not legally atleast. But I found this website useful - http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~physics/?q=node/13

At the bottom of the page there are some notes and practice tests.

Yeah the Harvard link above does have 4 of the official PGRE's that have been released by ETS (linked under the heading "Practice Tests"). There is in fact a 5th newly released test (the 2008 exam) that you will receive in the mail from ETS once you officially register. A pdf of this '08 test and solutions by a student can be found here: http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4055

ETS doesn't release official solutions so the GREphysics.net website you already found will be your best resource. I'd suggest looking at the posted solutions and then reading all the comments for each solution, even on problems you were able to solve. Way more often then you'd suspect there is a faster way to do the problem or eliminate wrong answers that is mentioned in the comments, and that sort of clever, critical thinking approach is what is really expected on the PGRE in order to get a top score.

I understand the importance of finding quality study materials for any exam, especially one as important as the physics GRE. It is great that you are seeking resources early on in your academic career and I applaud your dedication to preparing for this exam.

Regarding the previous exams, ETS does release a few exams from past years, but they are not in PDF format. They are only available in a paper-based format and can be ordered through their website. However, there are many other resources available online that can help you prepare for the physics GRE.

One option is to use the website you mentioned, grephysics.net, which offers a compilation of previous exam questions and solutions. While the organization may not be ideal, it is still a valuable resource for practice questions. Another option is to use study guides and review books specifically designed for the physics GRE. These can often be found in PDF format and can provide a more comprehensive review of the material.

Additionally, many universities offer study materials and workshops for their students preparing for the physics GRE. If you have access to these resources, I highly recommend taking advantage of them.

In summary, while ETS does not release the previous exams in PDF format, there are still many resources available to help you prepare for the physics GRE. It is important to utilize a variety of materials and to start studying early in order to achieve the best results. Good luck with your preparations!

What are the best study materials for the Physics GRE?

The best study materials for the Physics GRE vary depending on individual learning styles and preferences. Some popular options include the Official GRE Physics Subject Test book published by ETS, Barron's GRE Physics book, and Princeton Review's Cracking the GRE Physics Subject Test. Online resources such as Khan Academy and PhysicsGRE.com also offer helpful study materials and practice questions.

Do I need to use specific study materials for the Physics GRE?

While it is not required to use specific study materials for the Physics GRE, it is recommended to use materials that are specifically designed for this exam. This will ensure that you are familiar with the content and format of the test, and will give you the best chance for success.

Are there any free study materials available for the Physics GRE?

Yes, there are several free study materials available for the Physics GRE. As mentioned before, Khan Academy and PhysicsGRE.com offer free resources, including practice questions and video lessons. Additionally, ETS provides a free practice test on their website that can be used as a study tool.

How should I use study materials to prepare for the Physics GRE?

It is important to have a structured study plan when using materials to prepare for the Physics GRE. Start by taking a diagnostic test to identify your strengths and weaknesses. Then, focus on reviewing and practicing the topics you struggle with the most. Make sure to also take timed practice tests to simulate the actual exam experience.

Can I use study materials from other disciplines to prepare for the Physics GRE?

While it is always beneficial to have a well-rounded understanding of various subjects, it is not recommended to solely rely on study materials from other disciplines to prepare for the Physics GRE. This exam is specifically designed to test your knowledge in physics, so it is important to use materials that are tailored to this subject.