1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Testing Physics GRE Test

Tags:
  1. Sep 23, 2005 #1

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have a bunch of questions regarding the GRE Physics test. If you have answers to any of these questions or any general advice for taking the test, please chip in with your ideas.

1. How is the computerized test different from the paper test ? Specifically, do you get to know your score immediately after the test, or is there a waiting period ?

2. Is the difficulty level of the questions varied by some active feedback mechanism (like they are in the GRE General test) ?

3. Does anyone know roughly what raw scores correspond to what percentiles ?

4. Any suggestions for preparatory material are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2005 #2
  4. Oct 7, 2005 #3
    First off, it's all scantron. No computerized test. There are 100 multiple-choice questions. If I recall correctly, if you get 50% of them right you're probably in the 80th percentile. It's designed this way so it covers all of the undergraduate physics electives you could possibly take. There are 5 public-domain tests, so if you can track them down online you can practice all you want. You'll need it. It's tough. Good luck!

5. Oct 7, 2005 #4

mezarashi

Homework Helper

All I know that it is as tricky as the SAT plus the comprehensiveness of undergraduate physics. The questions often "seem" easy but will fool you over ten times if you don't truly have a sound understanding. I would suppose like any standardized test, taking as many practice exams as you can will help. /me notes that to himself as well for he'll be taking it in December ^^;

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?