GRE Physics Test: Questions, Advice and Prep Materials

In summary, the GRE Physics test is a scantron-based test with 100 multiple-choice questions, covering all undergraduate physics electives. The difficulty level is designed to correspond to percentiles, with a score of 50% likely placing you in the 80th percentile. Preparatory materials, such as practice exams, are recommended for success on the test.
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have a bunch of questions regarding the GRE Physics test. If you have answers to any of these questions or any general advice for taking the test, please chip in with your ideas.

1. How is the computerized test different from the paper test ? Specifically, do you get to know your score immediately after the test, or is there a waiting period ?

2. Is the difficulty level of the questions varied by some active feedback mechanism (like they are in the GRE General test) ?

3. Does anyone know roughly what raw scores correspond to what percentiles ?

4. Any suggestions for preparatory material are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there is a computer based physics test. Here's a link to the practice test on the GRE website. At the end it has a breakdown of raw scores versus prcentile.

http://www.ets.org/Media/Tests/GRE/Physics.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, it's all scantron. No computerized test. There are 100 multiple-choice questions. If I recall correctly, if you get 50% of them right you're probably in the 80th percentile. It's designed this way so it covers all of the undergraduate physics electives you could possibly take. There are 5 public-domain tests, so if you can track them down online you can practice all you want. You'll need it. It's tough. Good luck!

All I know that it is as tricky as the SAT plus the comprehensiveness of undergraduate physics. The questions often "seem" easy but will fool you over ten times if you don't truly have a sound understanding. I would suppose like any standardized test, taking as many practice exams as you can will help. /me notes that to himself as well for he'll be taking it in December ^^;

1. What is the GRE Physics Test?

The GRE Physics Test is a standardized test administered by the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to assess a student's knowledge of physics for admission into graduate programs in physics and related fields. It covers various topics such as classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and more.

2. How long is the GRE Physics Test?

The GRE Physics Test is 170 minutes long and consists of 100 multiple-choice questions. This includes 170 minutes for the test itself and 10 minutes for a break.

3. What is the format of the GRE Physics Test?

The GRE Physics Test is a computer-based test and is divided into three main sections: Classical Mechanics, Electromagnetism, and Quantum Mechanics/Atomic Physics. Each section has approximately 33-34 questions and is scored on a scale of 200-990.

4. What are some tips for preparing for the GRE Physics Test?

Some tips for preparing for the GRE Physics Test include reviewing fundamental concepts and equations, practicing with sample questions and tests, and familiarizing yourself with the format and timing of the test. It is also helpful to identify your weaknesses and focus on improving them.

5. Are there any recommended prep materials for the GRE Physics Test?

Yes, there are many prep materials available for the GRE Physics Test, including study guides, practice tests, and online resources. Some popular options include the official ETS GRE Physics Test Practice Book, the Princeton Review Cracking the GRE Physics Test, and the Kaplan GRE Subject Test: Physics prep book.