1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Testing Physics GRE Woes!

Tags:
  1. Jun 7, 2008 #1

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry if I have been kind of quiet lately. These stupid Physics GRE practice problems have been taking up so much of my time outside of the lab, that I haven't had time for much else!!

Hopefully it pays off when I take the test.

I hope to make at least part of tomorrow's chat. Hopefully I'll see you guys there!

Stupid ETS.....grrrrr.......<more random bitter ramblings>

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2008 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It pays off majorly. Keep at it!

4. Jun 7, 2008 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

G01, when do you take the Physics GRE?

Good luck!

5. Jun 7, 2008 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hehehe, October. I know its far off, but my practice test scores are much lower than what i want them to be. Hopefully I'll get my scores up to where I want them by the fall. Thanks for the luck Astro! I'll need it more for the prep work, than for the actual test I think!:rolleyes:

6. Jun 7, 2008 #5
    I used to hate these ETS tests but recently I've come around and started to appreciate them.

1) I think studying for ETS tests especially the subject tests can be extremely useful. Unlike some of the questions your teachers give, the questions on ETS tests are usually perfectly worded and have an unambiguous answer. So you can only blame yourself if you do poorly. I think the questions are really fair and well-thought out to make them thought-provoking yet not really painful since they are designed to be answer in about a minute.

2) I think it is a reasonably accurate assessment of your knowledge and understanding of physics. It straightforwardly tests how well you know physics and that is why it is required.

Anyway GO1, my point is that you shouldn't feel like the time you spend studying for the Physics GRE is wasted. I have actually been enjoyed a lot studying for the math GRE (which I am probably taking in October also). It has shown me what my strong points are and what topics I need to work (stupid auto-link) on. The problems are pretty fun and are at a good level for me. So, you can learn a lot from GRE preparation if you view it more as a regular course than as just a chore or a graduate-school "rite-of-passage".

EDIT: oh yeah, good luck; since you have even helped me and lots of others with physics homework I'm sure you will do well

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  7. Jun 7, 2008 #6

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks. Honestly I have learned a lot from studying for the test:

1) I have trouble recalling Atomic Physics Formulae

2) I make REALLY stupid mistakes under time constraint. (i.e. 4X4=8) :rolleyes::redface:

I still think whether the subject tests actually test your ability in that area is up for debate. This test seems more focused on whether or not you have memorized formulas than whether or not you actually understand physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?