Physics GRE Woes: Battling Practice Problems for Test Prep

In summary: However, I think studying for the test is still valuable because it can help you identify your weak points.In summary, the Physics GRE practice problems have been taking up so much of my time outside of the lab, that I haven't had time for much else! However, I am hopeful that my recent good practice will pay off when I take the test.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Sorry if I have been kind of quiet lately. These stupid Physics GRE practice problems have been taking up so much of my time outside of the lab, that I haven't had time for much else!

Hopefully it pays off when I take the test.

I hope to make at least part of tomorrow's chat. Hopefully I'll see you guys there!Stupid ETS...grrrrr...<more random bitter ramblings>

Physics news on Phys.org
It pays off majorly. Keep at it!

G01, when do you take the Physics GRE?

Good luck!

Hehehe, October. I know its far off, but my practice test scores are much lower than what i want them to be. Hopefully I'll get my scores up to where I want them by the fall. Thanks for the luck Astro! I'll need it more for the prep work, than for the actual test I think!:rolleyes:

I used to hate these ETS tests but recently I've come around and started to appreciate them.

1) I think studying for ETS tests especially the subject tests can be extremely useful. Unlike some of the questions your teachers give, the questions on ETS tests are usually perfectly worded and have an unambiguous answer. So you can only blame yourself if you do poorly. I think the questions are really fair and well-thought out to make them thought-provoking yet not really painful since they are designed to be answer in about a minute.

2) I think it is a reasonably accurate assessment of your knowledge and understanding of physics. It straightforwardly tests how well you know physics and that is why it is required.

Anyway GO1, my point is that you shouldn't feel like the time you spend studying for the Physics GRE is wasted. I have actually been enjoyed a lot studying for the math GRE (which I am probably taking in October also). It has shown me what my strong points are and what topics I need to work (stupid auto-link) on. The problems are pretty fun and are at a good level for me. So, you can learn a lot from GRE preparation if you view it more as a regular course than as just a chore or a graduate-school "rite-of-passage".

EDIT: oh yeah, good luck; since you have even helped me and lots of others with physics homework I'm sure you will do well

Last edited:
ehrenfest said:
I used to hate these ETS tests but recently I've come around and started to appreciate them.

1) I think studying for ETS tests especially the subject tests can be extremely useful. Unlike some of the questions your teachers give, the questions on ETS tests are usually perfectly worded and have an unambiguous answer. So you can only blame yourself if you do poorly. I think the questions are really fair and well-thought out to make them thought-provoking yet not really painful since they are designed to be answer in about a minute.

2) I think it is a reasonably accurate assessment of your knowledge and understanding of physics. It straightforwardly tests how well you know physics and that is why it is required.

Anyway GO1, my point is that you shouldn't feel like the time you spend studying for the Physics GRE is wasted. I have actually been enjoyed a lot studying for the math GRE (which I am probably taking in October also). It has shown me what my strong points are and what topics I need to work (stupid auto-link) on. The problems are pretty fun and are at a good level for me. So, you can learn a lot from GRE preparation if you view it more as a regular course than as just a chore or a graduate-school "rite-of-passage".

EDIT: oh yeah, good luck; since you have even helped me and lots of others with physics homework I'm sure you will do well

Thanks. Honestly I have learned a lot from studying for the test:

1) I have trouble recalling Atomic Physics Formulae

2) I make REALLY stupid mistakes under time constraint. (i.e. 4X4=8) :rolleyes::redface:

I still think whether the subject tests actually test your ability in that area is up for debate. This test seems more focused on whether or not you have memorized formulas than whether or not you actually understand physics.

1. What is the purpose of the Physics GRE?

The Physics GRE is a standardized test used by graduate schools to assess a student's knowledge and understanding of fundamental physics concepts. It is often required for admission into graduate programs in physics or related fields.

2. How can I effectively prepare for the Physics GRE?

The best way to prepare for the Physics GRE is to practice solving a variety of physics problems, familiarize yourself with the test format and timing, and review key concepts and equations. It is also helpful to take practice tests and seek guidance from a tutor or study group.

3. What is the format of the Physics GRE?

The Physics GRE is a multiple-choice test with 100 questions, divided into three sections: Classical Mechanics, Electromagnetism, and Quantum Mechanics/Atomic Physics/Optics/Thermodynamics. Each section has 50 minutes to complete and there is a break in between each section. The test is scored on a scale of 200-990.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid on the Physics GRE?

Some common mistakes to avoid on the Physics GRE include not reading the question carefully, not showing all necessary steps in solving a problem, and not managing time effectively. It is also important to review and understand the fundamental concepts and equations rather than relying solely on memorization.

5. How can I improve my score on the Physics GRE?

To improve your score on the Physics GRE, it is important to practice regularly, review key concepts and equations, and seek help when needed. It can also be helpful to identify and focus on your weaker areas and to familiarize yourself with the test format and timing. Additionally, staying calm and focused during the test can also lead to a better performance.