Where Can I Find Physics Groups for Networking and Discussion in Colorado?

In summary, the speaker is currently living in Colorado Springs and considering going back to school for a second undergraduate degree in physics. They had originally started as a physics major but switched to behavioral science. They are hoping to rediscover their passion for physics and are looking for physics societies or groups in Colorado to attend meetings and gauge their interest. The best suggestion is to check with UCCS, as it may be difficult to find people interested in math or science outside of a school setting.
BegPhys
I am currently living in Colorado Springs, CO and am debating whether or not I want to go back to school to earn a second undergraduate degree in physics and then hopefully go on to earn a Ph.D. I started out in college as a physics major but switched to behavioral science. I am hoping to discover the passion I felt when I ran across campus to declare my major in physics. Is there anyone who lives in Colorado that knows of physics societies or groups that meet and discuss? This way I could attend some meetings and figure out if that passion to learn can be rediscovered. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your best bet would be to check at UCCS. Outside of a school organization (or on-line in forums like PF), I think it might be pretty hard to find many people interested in math or science.

As a fellow scientist, I can understand your desire to reignite your passion for physics. Colorado is home to many prestigious universities and research institutions, making it a great place to pursue a degree in physics. There are also several physics societies and groups in the state that offer opportunities for networking and discussion.

One such group is the Colorado Association of Physics Teachers, which brings together physics educators from all levels to share ideas and resources. They also hold regular meetings and workshops for professional development.

Another organization is the Colorado Chapter of the American Physical Society, which hosts conferences and events for physicists to present their research and network with others in the field. They also have a mentorship program for students interested in pursuing a career in physics.

Additionally, many universities in Colorado have their own physics clubs and societies that offer opportunities for students and faculty to connect and engage in discussions about physics.

I would also recommend reaching out to individual physics departments at universities near you, as they may have their own seminars and events that are open to the public.

I hope this information helps you in rediscovering your passion for physics. Best of luck in your academic pursuits!

1. What universities or institutions have physics groups in Colorado?

Some of the universities and institutions in Colorado with physics groups include the University of Colorado Boulder, Colorado State University, University of Denver, and the National Institute of Standards and Technology.

2. What types of research are these physics groups conducting?

The physics groups in Colorado conduct a wide range of research including astrophysics, condensed matter physics, quantum physics, nuclear physics, and particle physics.

3. Are there opportunities for undergraduate students to get involved with these physics groups?

Yes, many of these physics groups offer opportunities for undergraduate students to get involved in research projects, internships, and summer programs. Some universities also have physics clubs and organizations for students to join.

4. Are there any notable achievements or breakthroughs from these physics groups in Colorado?

Yes, there have been several notable achievements from physics groups in Colorado. For example, researchers at the University of Colorado Boulder were part of the team that made the first-ever detection of gravitational waves in 2015. Additionally, scientists at the National Institute of Standards and Technology have made significant contributions to the field of quantum computing.

5. How can I learn more about the work of these physics groups in Colorado?

You can visit the websites of the universities and institutions mentioned earlier to learn more about their specific physics groups and research projects. Additionally, attending seminars, conferences, and events related to physics in Colorado can provide valuable insights into the work of these groups.