Physics half life question help

In summary, if you accidentally post a question and want to delete it, you can either click on the "Edit" tab and find the delete option or edit the post within 30 minutes of posting it.
chem_is_lovex
how do you delete posts?

i was going to post a question and i accidentally posted it how do i delete this error?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

? :biggrin:

phyzmatix said:
? :biggrin:

uhhhh... yeahh sorry, my error. I'm only new to this and i by accidentally pressed enter when i was typing the title! then it posted it and i don't know how to delete it!

sorry =]

chem_is_lovex said:
uhhhh... yeahh sorry, my error. I'm only new to this and i by accidentally pressed enter when i was typing the title! then it posted it and i don't know how to delete it!

sorry =]

No need to apologise! :smile: Click on the "Edit" tab after you posted, the option to delete is somewhere there. Alternatively, you have up to, I think 30min, to edit a post.

1. What is the definition of a half-life in physics?

The half-life of a substance is the amount of time it takes for half of the initial amount of the substance to decay or disintegrate.

2. How is the half-life of a substance determined?

The half-life of a substance is determined by the rate at which it decays or disintegrates. This rate is typically measured by the amount of radiation emitted by the substance over a period of time.

3. Can the half-life of a substance change?

No, the half-life of a substance is a characteristic property of that substance and does not change. However, external factors such as temperature, pressure, or chemical reactions can affect the rate of decay and therefore the apparent half-life.

4. How is the half-life used in nuclear physics?

The half-life is used to determine the stability of a radioactive substance and to calculate the amount of time it takes for a given amount of a substance to reach a safe level of radioactivity. It is also used to determine the age of objects through radiometric dating.

5. What is the relationship between the half-life and the decay constant?

The decay constant is a measure of the probability of a radioactive atom decaying in a given time period. The relationship between the half-life and the decay constant is that they are inversely proportional - as the half-life increases, the decay constant decreases, and vice versa.