1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Help ! 1 and 2D motion

1. Jul 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ball rolling with an initial velocity of 40m/s[W] undergoes an acceleration of 5.0m/s2[N] for a period of 6.0 seconds. What is the displacement of the ball in the 6.0 seconds?

3. The attempt at a solution

Apparently the answer is 260m[W21°N]

Please help!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2013 #2
    PF rule. No attempt means no help.

4. Jul 3, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you not know any formulas relating constant acceleration to speed and distance?

5. Jul 3, 2013 #4
    Well I know the displacement north is 30m, because i was given an acceleration and a time. From that I found the final velocity of 50m/s from the triangle these two velocities created. Using the motion formula V22 = V12 + 2ad , i found the displacement to be 90, not 260... And I have no idea how to use vectors in this case to find a direction

6. Jul 4, 2013 #5
    You have to use vectors in this case. Or just find the x-direction motion separately and y-direction displacement separately. Then add those two Vectorially by forming triangle as you did to final velocity. Hope you find this helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted