Physics Help Books: Recommendations & Formulas

In summary, the conversation is about asking for recommendations for a physics help book and an easy way to remember formulas for a physics course. The person is currently taking PHY 121 at ASU and is struggling with understanding the material and remembering the formulas. They are looking for tips and suggestions on how to better remember the formulas.
clair_a_net
Does anyone have a reconmindation for a physics help book, because i am currently taking phy 121 @ ASU and the TA tend to make things more confusing then making them understandable.

Also does anyone have an easy way to remember fromulas such as acceleration @constant speed, velocity @ constant speed and such, because I'm having trouble remebering them of the top of my head for quizes.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
clair_a_net said:
Does anyone have a reconmindation for a physics help book, because i am currently taking phy 121 @ ASU and the TA tend to make things more confusing then making them understandable.

Also does anyone have an easy way to remember fromulas such as acceleration @constant speed, velocity @ constant speed and such, because I'm having trouble remebering them of the top of my head for quizes.

thanks
Most of us don't know what exactly phy 121 @ASU is. Is it a mechanics course? Is it calculus based? As for those formulas, I think you mean to re-word them. Acceleration at constant speed is zero if the particle is not changing direction, and if it is then this is kind of a very riddle-ish way of asking for the formula [itex]a=\frac{v^2}{r}[/itex] where r is the instantaneous radius of curvature. Likewise, velocity at constant speed is just the initial velocity if the particle is not changing direction, and if it is changing direction, then the velocity is just whatever it happens to be; there's no way of telling. In general a good way of remembering formulas is remembering how they are derived.

As a fellow scientist, I understand the struggle of trying to remember formulas and concepts in physics. I would recommend checking out "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick or "University Physics" by Young and Freedman. These books are widely used in introductory physics courses and offer clear explanations and examples to help you understand the material.

In terms of remembering formulas, I suggest practicing with them regularly and creating your own study aids, such as flashcards or cheat sheets. Additionally, understanding the underlying principles behind the formulas can also help with retention and application.

I also encourage you to reach out to your professor or other resources on campus, such as tutoring services, for additional support in understanding the material. Physics can be a challenging subject, but with persistence and the right resources, I am confident you will succeed. Best of luck in your studies!

1. What are some recommended physics help books for beginners?

Some popular physics help books for beginners are "Concepts of Modern Physics" by Arthur Beiser, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Paul A. Tipler and Gene Mosca, and "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday, Robert Resnick, and Jearl Walker.

2. Are there any physics help books specifically for high school students?

Yes, there are several physics help books designed for high school students such as "The Cartoon Guide to Physics" by Larry Gonick and Art Huffman, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics" by Raymond A. Serway and John W. Jewett, and "Physics: Principles with Applications" by Douglas C. Giancoli.

3. What are the best physics help books for preparing for exams?

Some recommended physics help books for exam preparation are "5 Steps to a 5: AP Physics 1: Algebra-Based 2020 Edition" by Greg Jacobs and Josh Schulman, "Cracking the AP Physics 1 Exam 2020" by The Princeton Review, and "Mastering Physics" by Hugh D. Young and Roger A. Freedman.

4. Do physics help books include formulas and equations?

Yes, most physics help books include a section with common formulas and equations used in the subject. Some books also provide explanations and examples on how to use these formulas in problem-solving.

5. Are there any interactive or digital physics help books available?

Yes, there are several interactive and digital physics help books available, such as "Interactive Physics Workbook" by Paul G. Hewitt, "The Physics Classroom" by Tom Henderson, and "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard P. Feynman, Robert B. Leighton, and Matthew Sands, which also includes online lectures and exercises.