Solving Physics Problems: Coefficient of Friction and Force Calculation Tips

• Thread starter nippongo2001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
Minimum force required = F_applied = F_friction = 70N x 0.26 = 18.2NIn summary, given the coefficients of kinetic and static friction, you can determine the minimum force required to start a sled moving up an inclined plane, and the force needed to keep it moving at a constant velocity. To find these values, you must consider the maximum value of static friction and balance the applied force with the kinetic force of friction.
nippongo2001
When you're given the coefficients of both kinetic and static friction, what can you determine from this information, and how do you go about finding it?

For example, I was given a problem in physics that says the following:

A loaded sled weighing 70N rests on a plane inclined at 20 degrees to the horizontal. Between the sled and the plane, the coefficient of static friction is 0.26, and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.11.
a. What's the minimum magnitude of force that will start the sled moving up the plane?
b. What's the value of force required to move the block up the plane at constant velocity?

If there's any way that you can help with any aspect of this problem, I would be permanently in your debt! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember:
STATIC friction has the magnitude it needs to have in order to keep the object at rest, up to a MAXIMAL value, given in terms of the static friction coefficient multiplied with the normal force.

Hence, the MINIMUM force required to get the sled moving, is to apply a force equal to the maximum value static friction can have.

For your b) question, the applied force must exactly balance the kinetic force of friction in order to keep the sled's acceleration zero (i.e, its velocity constant).

nippongo2001 said:
a. What's the minimum magnitude of force that will start the sled moving up the plane?
To start something moving, you need to overcome static friction.
b. What's the value of force required to move the block up the plane at constant velocity?
Once the block is moving, you have to consider kinetic friction.

Thank you very much! Your help is indeed appreciated!

However, I am still having difficulty with the actual mathematical process in part A. Is the net force zero? If not, I still come up with two variables at the end. For part A:

In the x direction:
Force_net = F_applied - F_friction - F_parallel
F_net = F_a - (70cos20 x .26) - 70Sin20
F_net = F_a - 17.1028 - 23.9414

Thank you!

nippongo2001 said:
However, I am still having difficulty with the actual mathematical process in part A. Is the net force zero?
Yes.
In the x direction:
Force_net = F_applied - F_friction - F_parallel
F_applied = F_friction + F_parallel

1. What specific topic in physics do you need help with?

In order to provide the best assistance, it would be helpful to know the specific topic or concept in physics that you are struggling with. This will allow for more targeted and effective help.

2. Can you provide any background information or context?

Understanding your current level of knowledge and any previous attempts at understanding the material can help in providing tailored help and explanations. Any relevant information or context you can provide will be useful.

3. What resources have you already tried?

It is helpful to know what resources you have already utilized in your attempts to understand the material. This will prevent repeating information or suggestions that you have already tried.

4. Do you have any specific questions or areas of confusion?

If there are specific questions or concepts that are causing confusion, please let us know. This will allow for targeted explanations and clarification.

5. Are there any upcoming exams or deadlines?

If there are any upcoming exams or deadlines related to the material you need help with, please let us know. This will help in providing more urgent and focused assistance, if needed.