1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics help on force and speed

1. Jul 31, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

FIGURE 7-6

The force on a 3.00-kg object as a function of position is shown in Fig. 7-6. If an object is moving at 2.50 m/s when it is located at x = 2.00 m, what will its speed be when it reaches x = 8.00 m?

phpkV1GdB.png
    ________
    A)

2.90 m/s

B)

3.30 m/s

C)

3.70 m/s

D)

4.10 m/s

E)

4.50 m/s

2. Relevant equations

Have no idea

3. The attempt at a solution
    the answer is 3.3 m/s but I don't know how they got that answer

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2013 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You might want to use work energy methods and show an attempt, please. Thank you.

4. Jul 31, 2013 #3
    I tried but my answer came out to be something that's not even on the answer choice lol
    Here is what I did

Δk = w
    1/2 mv^2 = Fd
    (1/2)(3)v^2 = 1*8
    V= 2.3 m/s

5. Jul 31, 2013 #4
    I got your answer as follows.
    First find an expression for the acceleration vs distance. Then integrate the acceleration to get the velocity vs distance. Use the fact that at x = 2 the velocity = 2.5 to find the constant of integration. Now you can find the velocity at x = 3. Now, knowing the velocity, mass and force at x = 3, you can find the velocity at x = 8.

6. Jul 31, 2013 #5
    You had the right idea, but you made a couple of mistakes. When you wrote the change in kinetic energy on the left hand side of the equation, you left out the term for the initial kinetic energy at x = 2. On the right hand side of the equation, you obtained the wrong value for the integral of the force with respect to x, from x = 2 to x = 8. The correct value should be 6.5.

Chet

7. Jul 31, 2013 #6
    Got it!! Thank y'all :)

8. Oct 17, 2016 #7
    • Member advised not to provide complete solutions to homework questions.
    Change in K = W
    1/2*m*(vf^2-v0^2) = F*d
    .5*3.00kg*(vf^2-(2.5m/s)^2) = 1N * (8-2m)
    1.5 (vf^2-(2.5m/s)^2) = 6N*m
    vf^2 = 6/1.5 + (2.5 m/s)^2
    vf^2 = 10.25
    vf = 3.20 m/s

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted