Is This Airplane in Equilibrium During Horizontal Flight?

In summary, an airplane is cruising along in a horizontal level flight at a constant velocity, heading due west. According to the problem, with what force does the air push upward on the plane? The plane is in equilibrium, and if so, what kind of equilibrium?
lilkrazyrae
an airplane is cruising along in a horizontal level flight at a constant velocity, heading due west. (a) If the weight of the plane is 2.6 x 10^4 N what is the net force on the plane? (b) with what force does the air push upward on the plane? (c) Is the plane in equilibrium? If so, what kind of equilibrium?

I got answers but i am not too sure on them so if someone could check that would help. For (a) i got 2.6 x 10^4 west. for (b) i got gravity 9.8 N/kg
for (c) i got dynamic equilibrium. Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
(a) Is the plane accelerated in any way?

(b) a force of equal magnitude as that of gravity, yes, but 9.80 is not the gravitational force on the plane, it is the gravitationnal acceleration. You're asked for a force.

(c) what is dynamical equilibrium?! Are you writing anything here? According to wiki, dynamical equilibrium has to do with temperature and stuff (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_equilibrium)

the problem read just as i wrote, dynamic equilibrium is that there is as much upward force as downward force and it moves at a constant velocity. As for the gravity thing I understand that but I still cannot figure out how to find b.

lilkrazyrae said:
dynamic equilibrium is that there is as much upward force as downward force and it moves at a constant velocity.

That doesn't make sense. If there is as much upward force as downward force, then the net force is not zero, and according to Newton's 2nd law, the body has an acceleration of magnitude F/m. So it can't travel at constant velocity.

For (b), what is the gravitational force on an object of mass 'm' near the surface of earth? (F = ?)

I offer the following submission for your consideration.

The plane is moving at constant velocity - hence no acceleration - hence no net force.
There are drag and lift components involved. The power of the plane's engines overcome, and balance the drag. The weight of the plane is balanced by the lift. If the plane were not moving, it would be in static equilibrium. Since it is moving, I imagine that would be described as dynamic equilibrium
The answers to the problem would then be,

(a) zero

(b) 2.6 x 10^4 N

(c) dynamic equilibrium

Ok, here's the vocabulary: If the sum of the force on a particle is zero, we say it is in translational equilibrium. We distinguish two kind of translational equilibrium: 1) If the particle is at rest, we say it is in static equilibrium. 2) If the particle is traveling at constant speed, we say it is in dymanic(al?) equilibrium.

So you were right about the plane being in dynamical equilibrium.

Note to lilkrazyrae: Although Fermat gave you the answers, please try to understand how he got them. If you don't, request that he explains.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help, and I understand. thanks so much!

1. What is the concept of equilibrium in physics?

Equilibrium in physics refers to a state in which an object or system is at rest or moving with a constant velocity. This can occur when the forces acting on the object are balanced, resulting in no net force or acceleration.

2. How does the orientation of a plane affect its equilibrium?

The orientation of a plane can affect its equilibrium by changing the direction and magnitude of the forces acting on it. For example, if a plane is tilted at an angle, the force of gravity acting on the plane will be in a different direction, causing it to either accelerate or maintain a constant velocity depending on the other forces present.

3. What is the significance of the center of gravity in relation to equilibrium on a plane?

The center of gravity is the point at which all the weight of an object can be considered to be concentrated. In a plane, the center of gravity must be positioned in such a way that the weight is evenly distributed, ensuring that the plane remains in equilibrium and is stable during flight.

4. How do forces such as lift, weight, and drag contribute to equilibrium on a plane?

Lift, weight, and drag are all forces that act on a plane during flight. When these forces are balanced, the plane is in a state of equilibrium. Lift, generated by the wings, counteracts the weight of the plane, while drag, caused by air resistance, is balanced by the thrust of the engines.

5. What are some real-life examples of equilibrium on a plane?

Some real-life examples of equilibrium on a plane include maintaining a constant altitude and speed during level flight, maintaining a stable position while taxiing on the runway, and achieving a balanced takeoff and landing. Additionally, during turbulence, the pilot must make adjustments to maintain equilibrium and keep the plane steady.