1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics help on speed of boat

1. Apr 1, 2005 #1
    A boat of mass 250 kg is coasting, with its engine in neutral, through the water at speed 3.00 m/s when it starts to rain. The rain is falling vertically, and it accumulates in the boat at the rate of 10.0 kg/hr.

using this formula: mb*vb/(mb+k0+t1)

i got an answer of 2.86, but it's incorrect. it tells me im close, but wrong. do i need to convert the units or something?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2005 #2
    What is the question asking you? Whats k_0? t_1?

4. Apr 1, 2005 #3
    oops, so sorry. i forgot to post the question.

What is the speed of the boat after time 2.00 hr has passed? Assume that the water resistance is negligible.

T_1 is just time(2hr) and K_0 is 10.0 kg/hr

5. Apr 1, 2005 #4
    Is this calc based or algebra based?
    And how did you derive your eq?

6. Apr 1, 2005 #5

xanthym

Science Advisor

You seem to correctly be trying to use conservation of horizontal momentum:
    vb(t=2 hr) = mb(t=0)*vb(t=0)/mb(t=2 hr)
    Recalculate your value. (Should be about 2.778 m/sec).

~~

Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  7. Apr 1, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hold on,a second.U can't add things with different units.A flow (Kg/hr) with a mass (Kg) with a time (s)...

What's the initial momentum of the boat?What's the boat's momentum after 2hrs??

Daniel.

8. Apr 1, 2005 #7
    thanks alot, 2.778 was correct and i know how you got it, but i dont UNDERSTAND how it works, can someone help?

"What's the initial momentum of the boat?What's the boat's momentum after 2hrs??"
    p=mv
    initial momentum = 250*3
    after 2hr = 250*(10*2*3) (for this one, do you use the momentum formula also?)
    cause what would be v?

9. Apr 1, 2005 #8
    Well this is basically an inelastic collision right? You were going a certain speed and you gained mass. What is your new speed?

[tex] m_iv_i = m_fv_f [/tex]

Your final momentum is [tex] m_fv_f [/tex]. Your final mass is not 250(10*2*3), that would mean you gained about 50 times your mass. In fact your final mass is [tex] mass_{boat} + mass_{rain} [/tex]. How much mass did the rain add to you?

using [tex] p_f = m_fv_f [/tex] you can find your final momentum.

Do you see how this works?

10. Apr 1, 2005 #9
    ahh... thanks alot!

11. Apr 9, 2005 #10
    I got stuck on the 3rd part of this question:

Assume that the boat is subject to a drag force F due to water resistanceThe drag is proportional to the square of the speed of the boat, in the form F=0.5v^2. What is the acceleration of the boat just after the rain starts?

I don't even know how to go about approaching this part

12. Apr 9, 2005 #11

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does that mean we can neglect varying mass & momentum of the boat due to the water falling down?

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?