Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Physics help on speed of boat

1. Apr 1, 2005 #1
    A boat of mass 250 kg is coasting, with its engine in neutral, through the water at speed 3.00 m/s when it starts to rain. The rain is falling vertically, and it accumulates in the boat at the rate of 10.0 kg/hr.

using this formula: mb*vb/(mb+k0+t1)

i got an answer of 2.86, but it's incorrect. it tells me im close, but wrong. do i need to convert the units or something?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2005 #2
    What is the question asking you? Whats k_0? t_1?

4. Apr 1, 2005 #3
    oops, so sorry. i forgot to post the question.

What is the speed of the boat after time 2.00 hr has passed? Assume that the water resistance is negligible.

T_1 is just time(2hr) and K_0 is 10.0 kg/hr

5. Apr 1, 2005 #4
    Is this calc based or algebra based?
    And how did you derive your eq?

6. Apr 1, 2005 #5

xanthym

Science Advisor

You seem to correctly be trying to use conservation of horizontal momentum:
    vb(t=2 hr) = mb(t=0)*vb(t=0)/mb(t=2 hr)
    Recalculate your value. (Should be about 2.778 m/sec).

~~

Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  7. Apr 1, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hold on,a second.U can't add things with different units.A flow (Kg/hr) with a mass (Kg) with a time (s)...

What's the initial momentum of the boat?What's the boat's momentum after 2hrs??

Daniel.

8. Apr 1, 2005 #7
    thanks alot, 2.778 was correct and i know how you got it, but i dont UNDERSTAND how it works, can someone help?

"What's the initial momentum of the boat?What's the boat's momentum after 2hrs??"
    p=mv
    initial momentum = 250*3
    after 2hr = 250*(10*2*3) (for this one, do you use the momentum formula also?)
    cause what would be v?

9. Apr 1, 2005 #8
    Well this is basically an inelastic collision right? You were going a certain speed and you gained mass. What is your new speed?

[tex] m_iv_i = m_fv_f [/tex]

Your final momentum is [tex] m_fv_f [/tex]. Your final mass is not 250(10*2*3), that would mean you gained about 50 times your mass. In fact your final mass is [tex] mass_{boat} + mass_{rain} [/tex]. How much mass did the rain add to you?

using [tex] p_f = m_fv_f [/tex] you can find your final momentum.

Do you see how this works?

10. Apr 1, 2005 #9
    ahh... thanks alot!

11. Apr 9, 2005 #10
    I got stuck on the 3rd part of this question:

Assume that the boat is subject to a drag force F due to water resistanceThe drag is proportional to the square of the speed of the boat, in the form F=0.5v^2. What is the acceleration of the boat just after the rain starts?

I don't even know how to go about approaching this part

12. Apr 9, 2005 #11

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does that mean we can neglect varying mass & momentum of the boat due to the water falling down?

Daniel.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook