Calculating Boat Speed with Rainfall Accumulation

In summary: The drag is proportional to the square of the speed of the boat, in the form F=0.5v^2. What is the acceleration of the boat just after the rain starts? The acceleration of the boat is 9.8 m/s^2 after the rain starts.
ProBasket
A boat of mass 250 kg is coasting, with its engine in neutral, through the water at speed 3.00 m/s when it starts to rain. The rain is falling vertically, and it accumulates in the boat at the rate of 10.0 kg/hr.

using this formula: mb*vb/(mb+k0+t1)

i got an answer of 2.86, but it's incorrect. it tells me I am close, but wrong. do i need to convert the units or something?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the question asking you? Whats k_0? t_1?

oops, so sorry. i forgot to post the question.

What is the speed of the boat after time 2.00 hr has passed? Assume that the water resistance is negligible.

T_1 is just time(2hr) and K_0 is 10.0 kg/hr

Is this calc based or algebra based?
And how did you derive your eq?

ProBasket said:
A boat of mass 250 kg is coasting, with its engine in neutral, through the water at speed 3.00 m/s when it starts to rain. The rain is falling vertically, and it accumulates in the boat at the rate of 10.0 kg/hr.

using this formula: mb*vb/(mb+k0+t1)

i got an answer of 2.86, but it's incorrect. it tells me I am close, but wrong. do i need to convert the units or something?
You seem to correctly be trying to use conservation of horizontal momentum:
vb(t=2 hr) = mb(t=0)*vb(t=0)/mb(t=2 hr)
Recalculate your value. (Should be about 2.778 m/sec).

~~

Last edited:
Hold on,a second.U can't add things with different units.A flow (Kg/hr) with a mass (Kg) with a time (s)...

What's the initial momentum of the boat?What's the boat's momentum after 2hrs??

Daniel.

thanks alot, 2.778 was correct and i know how you got it, but i don't UNDERSTAND how it works, can someone help?

"What's the initial momentum of the boat?What's the boat's momentum after 2hrs??"
p=mv
initial momentum = 250*3
after 2hr = 250*(10*2*3) (for this one, do you use the momentum formula also?)
cause what would be v?

Well this is basically an inelastic collision right? You were going a certain speed and you gained mass. What is your new speed?

[tex] m_iv_i = m_fv_f [/tex]

Your final momentum is [tex] m_fv_f [/tex]. Your final mass is not 250(10*2*3), that would mean you gained about 50 times your mass. In fact your final mass is [tex] mass_{boat} + mass_{rain} [/tex]. How much mass did the rain add to you?

using [tex] p_f = m_fv_f [/tex] you can find your final momentum.

Do you see how this works?

ahh... thanks alot!

I got stuck on the 3rd part of this question:

Assume that the boat is subject to a drag force F due to water resistanceThe drag is proportional to the square of the speed of the boat, in the form F=0.5v^2. What is the acceleration of the boat just after the rain starts?

I don't even know how to go about approaching this part

Does that mean we can neglect varying mass & momentum of the boat due to the water falling down?

Daniel.

1. How is the speed of a boat calculated?

The speed of a boat is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. This is known as the average speed formula: speed = distance/time.

2. What factors affect the speed of a boat?

The speed of a boat can be affected by various factors, including the size and shape of the boat, the weight of the boat and its contents, the water conditions, and the power of the boat's engine.

3. How does the speed of a boat relate to its velocity?

The speed of a boat is a measure of how fast it is moving, while velocity also takes into account the direction of the boat's movement. Therefore, a boat's velocity would include both its speed and the direction in which it is moving.

4. Can a boat exceed the speed of sound?

No, a boat cannot exceed the speed of sound in water. The speed of sound in water is approximately 1,500 meters per second, and most boats are not capable of reaching such high speeds.

5. How can the speed of a boat be increased?

The speed of a boat can be increased by reducing its weight, improving its design for better hydrodynamics, and using a more powerful engine. Other factors such as favorable water conditions and skilled navigation can also contribute to increasing a boat's speed.