1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Help Pleaase

1. Feb 22, 2007 #1
    Physics Help!! Pleaase

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A mass, m, traveling at a speed v, strikes another mass = 2m at rest. After the collision, the first mass, m, is delfected through 45 degrees and has a final speed of v/2.
    Find the speed and Direction of the mass 2m after this collision.

2. Relevant equations
    p =mv

3. The attempt at a solution

2mfsinT = -mv/2sin 45
    mv+2m+ 0 - mv xdr
    mv = mv/2cos45+2mfcosT

Anyone help ..

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2007 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

I'm guessing you are trying to use conservation of momentum. What is f? What is xdr? Why do you only have a 2m there in the second line? Actually, that second line isn't even an equation! You need to start by drawing a diagram and breaking it up into x and y components, before the collision and after.

4. Feb 22, 2007 #3
    I have
    let theta of missing angle = x
    v2 = velocity of second mass , 2m
    cos45mv/2 + cosX = mv
    sin45mv/w= sin X 2Mv2
    I can't solve it now..

5. Feb 23, 2007 #4

hage567

Homework Helper

"cos45mv/2 + cosX = mv"

There should be a term for the velocity of the 2m mass in front of the cosX.

"sin45mv/w= sin X 2Mv2"

I'm assuming the w is really a 2??

Everything looks OK I think. You have two equations and two unknowns (not counting the v that is the initial velocity). So put the second equation in terms of one of the unknowns and plug it into the first equation. Solve for that unknown.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?