Physics Basics: Capacitor Charging & Discharging

• Thread starter katchakern200
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, during capacitor charging, the source of charge is the battery which provides the energy for the charges to move through the circuit. During capacitor discharging, the source of charge is the already stored charge in the capacitor, which is attracted to the opposite charge on the other sheet of the capacitor. The battery is no longer supplying energy, so the charges flow back to their original positions. This process is similar to the air capacitor where charges are attracted to each other, but cannot flow through the air.
katchakern200
Here is the question that I'm given:

Consider a circuit with a capacitor, battery, wire, and bulb. Describe the source(s) of charge during:

1. capacitor charging
2. capacitor discharging

What is the cause of charge motion during capacitor charging?

Using the analogy of the air capacitor, what do you think might be the cause of charge motion during capacitor discharging?

My solution: I thought that the battery in a circuit provided the energy for the charge to move through, but would this be a correct answer to the first question? Wouldn't the charge come from the discharged capacitor when the capacitor is discharged? For the second question, "What is the cause of charge of motion during capacitor charging?" I have no idea what to write. I don't even get what the question is asking. For the last question, I don't understand it either. I just need some help in understanding all of this!

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of the capacitor as two sheets of metal, separated by a bit of air.
If the capacitor is charged, then one sheet will hold positive charges (or lack of negative charges) and the other sheet will hold negative charges. What do you know about when these two types of charges meet? They attract each other! But since the charges cannot go through the air, they have to go through the rest of the circuit.
If the capacitor is being charged then something must 'push' the charges back into the sheets so they don't flow back to each other (through the circuit). The battery is ofcourse what supplies the energy to do this.

Now consider what happens when the battery is switched off. What are the charges going to do? So what is the source of energy to discharge the capacitor?

:

I am happy to help you understand the concept of capacitor charging and discharging. Let's start with the first question:

1. During capacitor charging, the source of charge is the battery. When a battery is connected to a circuit with a capacitor, it creates a potential difference or voltage across the capacitor. This potential difference causes electrons to move from the negative terminal of the battery to the positive terminal, creating a flow of charge through the circuit. This charge accumulates on the plates of the capacitor, causing it to become charged.

2. During capacitor discharging, the source of charge is the stored charge on the capacitor itself. When the circuit is closed and the capacitor is connected to a load (such as a bulb), the stored charge on the capacitor flows through the circuit, causing the bulb to light up. This is known as capacitor discharging.

Now, for the question about the cause of charge motion during capacitor charging. The cause of charge motion is the potential difference created by the battery. This potential difference creates an electric field which exerts a force on the electrons, causing them to move through the circuit and onto the plates of the capacitor.

As for the analogy of the air capacitor, it may help to think of the air as the dielectric material between the plates of the capacitor. When the capacitor is being charged, the air molecules are being polarized and aligning with the electric field, causing a buildup of charge on the plates. During discharging, the air molecules return to their normal state, causing the stored charge to flow through the circuit.

I hope this helps to clarify the concept of capacitor charging and discharging. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Remember, as a scientist, it's important to always ask questions and seek understanding. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric.

2. How does a capacitor charge?

When a capacitor is connected to a power source, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. This creates an electric field between the plates, causing the capacitor to store energy.

3. What is the difference between charging and discharging a capacitor?

Charging a capacitor refers to the process of storing energy in the electric field between its plates. Discharging, on the other hand, is the process of releasing the stored energy as the capacitor's plates return to their original state.

4. What factors affect the charging and discharging of a capacitor?

The rate at which a capacitor charges and discharges is affected by its capacitance, the voltage of the power source, and the resistance of the circuit. A larger capacitance, higher voltage, and lower resistance will result in faster charging and discharging.

5. What is the time constant of a charging or discharging capacitor?

The time constant of a capacitor is the amount of time it takes for the capacitor to charge or discharge to 63.2% of its maximum voltage. It is calculated by multiplying the capacitance (in farads) by the resistance (in ohms) in the circuit.