What is the tension force of each cable?

In summary, the conversation discusses various problems in physics, including finding the tension force of two cables holding a street light, determining which mass will hit the ground first in an inclined plane scenario, and calculating the distance a pendulum will travel given its mass and starting position. The participants in the conversation express gratitude for any help and provide equations and explanations for solving the problems.
compute_a_nerd
Hello everyone. First I would just like to say how thankful I am that there is a forum for physics out here. Also I would like to prematurely thank anyone who is going to help me, it is greatly appreciated.

Well I am in ap physics in high school, so this stuff should be cake for you guys.
So I created a quick drawing of the picture, please excuse it, it was a little rushed. But there is a 100N street light hanging from two cables of equal length (in picture) The cables create a 37 degree angle with the top horizontal line. --What is the tension force of each cable?

Could someone please explain to me how you find this, and does it make it easier because (or is it) an equalibrium system?

My second qestion is if you have a 30kg mass on an inclined plane that is 30 degrees to the horizontal, and a 50kg mass that is 60 degrees to the horizontal. Both masses are released at the same time, which hits the ground first?

And I have one final question (if I haven't bugged you enough). If I have a mass tied to a string (pendulum) and it is at the bottom of its swing, how far will it have traveled if the mass is 1cm above the bottom of its swing, if the pendulum mass is .2kg?

Again thank you so so much, and I appreciate any and all help
Chris

Attachments

• prob2.bmp
    41.2 KB · Views: 477
Physics news on Phys.org
Answer 1.

You have to balence the 100N down with 100N up. Becouse there are 2 cabels and they have the same angel each of the cabels takes half of the 100N that's 50N. You can easily calculat the tension force of each cable with this equation
sin37=50N/tension force
tension force=50N/sin37

See the ateched file.

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    41.2 KB · Views: 455
Answer 2.

The second one its the ground first becouse of the angle (it has a larger acceleration towerds the ground). Mass is of no importance.

Could you please be a bit more exact with your last question.

Thanks Lenin.
Sorry about the vagueness of the last problem. let me retype it. A pendulum with a mass of .2kg is at the bottom of its swing. what horizontal distance will it travel when the pendulum bob is 1cm above (vertically) its bottom most position.

hopefully that is a little better.
Thanks
Chris

Thanks for your explination. As I see it the distance the pendulum travels is conected to its langht and not its mass. A long pendulum would travel further then a short one.

1. What is tension force?

Tension force is a type of force that occurs when an object is pulled or stretched. It is the force that is exerted by a string, rope, cable, or any other elastic material when it is pulled from both ends.

2. How is tension force measured?

Tension force is measured in units of newtons (N) using a device called a force meter or a dynamometer. This device measures the amount of force being applied to an object.

3. What factors affect the tension force of a cable?

The tension force of a cable can be affected by various factors, such as the weight of the object being supported, the length and thickness of the cable, and the angle at which the cable is being pulled or stretched.

4. How is the tension force of each cable calculated?

The tension force of each cable can be calculated using the equation T = F * sinθ, where T is the tension force, F is the applied force, and θ is the angle at which the cable is being pulled or stretched.

5. Why is it important to know the tension force of each cable?

Knowing the tension force of each cable is important in order to ensure that the cables are strong enough to support the weight of the object they are holding. It also helps in determining the appropriate tension to prevent the cables from breaking or becoming too loose.