Physics Help sound level intensity

In summary, the person would experience a sound level of 115dB if the captain shut down one engine, which is 5dB lower than the original intensity level of 120dB with three engines running. This is because the intensity level is reduced by a factor of 3/2 or 1.5 when one engine is shut down.
smith22
A person standing a certain distance from an airplane with three equally noisy jet engines is feeling a sound level intensity bordering on pain, 120dB. What sound level would this person experience if the captain shut down one engine?

this is what I did:
B-120=10log.33
and ended up with 125 dB as the intensity

What am I doing wrong since I am reducing the factor by 3 and its still not working?

Physics news on Phys.org
I see two problems:

(1) The sound level should be lower with only two engines running: log.33 is negative.

(2) You have the wrong ratio of intensities: What's the ratio of intensities for 3 engines versus 2 engines?

smith22 said:
A person standing a certain distance from an airplane with three equally noisy jet engines is feeling a sound level intensity bordering on pain, 120dB. What sound level would this person experience if the captain shut down one engine?

this is what I did:
B-120=10log.33
and ended up with 125 dB as the intensity

What am I doing wrong since I am reducing the factor by 3 and its still not working?
let I0 be ref sound intensity level
sound level (db) w/3 engines = 120 db = 10 log10( 3(I/I0) )
= 10 log10(3) + 10 log10( I/I0 )
= 10 log10(2*(3/2)) + 10 log10( I/I0 )
= 10 log10(3/2) + 10 log10(2) + 10 log10( I/I0 )
= 10 log10(3/2) + 10 log10( 2(I/I0) )
= 10 log10(3/2) + (sound level (db) w/2 engines)

1. What is sound level intensity?

Sound level intensity, also known as acoustic intensity, is a measure of the amount of sound energy passing through a specific area in a given amount of time. It is measured in watts per square meter (W/m²) and is used to describe the loudness of a sound.

2. How is sound level intensity different from sound pressure level?

Sound pressure level (SPL) is a measure of the sound pressure at a specific location, while sound level intensity is a measure of the sound energy passing through a specific area. SPL is measured in decibels (dB), while sound level intensity is measured in watts per square meter (W/m²).

3. What factors affect sound level intensity?

The factors that affect sound level intensity include the distance from the sound source, the characteristics of the sound source, and the medium through which the sound travels. Other factors such as temperature, humidity, and atmospheric conditions can also affect sound level intensity.

4. What is the relationship between sound level intensity and distance?

As sound travels through a medium, it spreads out and loses intensity. This means that as the distance from the sound source increases, the sound level intensity decreases. The relationship between sound level intensity and distance is inversely proportional, meaning that as distance increases, sound level intensity decreases.

5. How is sound level intensity measured?

Sound level intensity is measured using a device called a sound level meter. This device measures the sound pressure at a specific location and calculates the sound level intensity using a formula that takes into account the distance from the sound source and other factors. The unit of measurement for sound level intensity is watts per square meter (W/m²).