Calculating Bungee Cord Length and Spring Constant: Realistic or Unrealistic?

In summary, It seems that you are struggling to understand the problem and the solution. You should make an attempt to solve the problem before asking for help.
Somoan
As part of a fundraiser, the Chancellor has agreed to bungee jump from a crane 45 m above a pool filled with Jello. The plan is for the bungee cord to stop the Chancellor just before his head enters the Jello. Your task is to select a bungee cord that will safely stop the Chancellor's descent in time. To estimate the feasibility of the plan, assume for now that a bungee cord is massless and behaves like an ideal spring. Also neglect air resistance. What length and spring constant should the bungee cord have? Are those values realistic?

Things that I considered-
  • Realistically, how much can a bungee cord stretch?
  • Does the bungee cord begin to stretch as soon as the Chancellor is dropped from the crane?
  • When is the Chancellor subject to the maximum force? How much force is safe?
Can someone please explain, I am at an absolute loss. I don't even know where to begin

Physics news on Phys.org
Well gravity will accelerate all objects at the same speed regardless of mass. I'm not entirely sure I'm going the right way with this but you have the initial velocity (0), the final velocity (also zero because at max extension he'll pause for a second), the distance and an acceleration.

So x=ut+(1/2)at^2
45=(0)t+(1/2)(9.8)t^2
Which gives him about three seconds of flight time. That may or may not be helpful.

I'm fairly sure you can also do the two spring equations. Hooke's law:

Hooke's Law F=-kx
and
Elastic potential energy: E=(1/2)kx^2

Just have a think about that and have a go. Technically the forum rules say you need to show an attempt at solving it before anyone helps you.

No wait you need the length of the extension for the spring equations...

Somoan said:
As part of a fundraiser, the Chancellor has agreed to bungee jump from a crane 45 m above a pool filled with Jello. The plan is for the bungee cord to stop the Chancellor just before his head enters the Jello. Your task is to select a bungee cord that will safely stop the Chancellor's descent in time. To estimate the feasibility of the plan, assume for now that a bungee cord is massless and behaves like an ideal spring. Also neglect air resistance. What length and spring constant should the bungee cord have? Are those values realistic?

Things that I considered-
  • Realistically, how much can a bungee cord stretch?
  • Does the bungee cord begin to stretch as soon as the Chancellor is dropped from the crane?
  • When is the Chancellor subject to the maximum force? How much force is safe?
Can someone please explain, I am at an absolute loss. I don't even know where to begin

It seems you are struggling on two fronts:

1) The characteristics of an ideal spring.

2) How to model a bungee jump as motion under an ideal spring.

What do you know about 1)?

Well, you need to make some effort to solve the problem first.

Supposing the bungee cord does begin to pull on the Chancellor right away, what will be the equation of motion for him? What will be the forces affecting him? How will you work out that he stops just at the surface of the pool?

Supposing the cord does not begin to pull on him until he gets some distance below his release point? What equation of motion will he have then?

I should also add I have been in the hospital for three weeks and am playing catch-up in class, So I apologize if I don't understand some of these replies...

What I know is... the force is proportional to the displacement and (F=-kx)

Somoan said:
I should also add I have been in the hospital for three weeks and am playing catch-up in class, So I apologize if I don't understand some of these replies...

What I know is... the force is proportional to the displacement and (F=-kx)

Displacement from where?

and an ideal spring will compress and stretch without bounds where as a real spring will break evaentually

Somoan said:
and an ideal spring will compress and stretch without bounds where as a real spring will break evaentually
Well that's pretty much your first "consideration" answered. In reality a bungee cord can only stretch as far as its tensile strength allows.

Since it asks you to estimate you might have to assume the Chancellor weighs the average human weight (I think it's 70kg) which means you can get the spring constant (70*9.8)=-k(22.5)
k=-686.

Although it may be +686 since maybe you have to make the F negative because it's acting down. I need to remember these things...

Last edited:
Ok, this is unrelated to the problem but I just want to make sure my understanding of some of the chapters concepts are correct...so please tell me if this is right

-A swinging pendulums greatest potential energy is at its highest point (A classmate said it was constant but that just doesn't make sense to me)

-1)As you throw the snowball straight up, is the mechanical energy of the snowball-Earth system is not conserved 2)but during the free flight of the snowball, the mechanical energy of the snowball-Earth system is conserved.

-And when there is friction an objects mechanical energy decreases

What is tension in physics?

Tension in physics refers to the force that is transmitted through a string, rope, cable, or any other type of flexible connector. It is a pulling force that acts in both directions along the length of the object and is caused by the tension of the molecules within the object.

How do you calculate tension?

Tension can be calculated by using the equation T = F * L, where T is tension, F is the applied force, and L is the length of the object. This equation assumes that the force is evenly distributed along the length of the object.

What factors affect tension?

The factors that affect tension include the magnitude and direction of the applied force, the length and thickness of the object, and the properties of the material the object is made of. Additionally, the angle at which the force is applied can also affect tension.

How is tension different from compression?

Tension and compression are two opposite types of forces. Tension is a pulling force that stretches an object, while compression is a pushing force that compresses or shortens an object. In terms of molecules, tension causes molecules to pull apart, while compression causes them to push together.

Can tension ever be negative?

No, tension is always a positive value. This is because tension is a pulling force, and the direction of the force is always away from the object. Negative tension would imply a force that is pushing the object, which is not considered tension in physics.