Solving Velocity & Acceleration - A Physics Challenge

In summary: Hi, I just had a question i had trouble answering, I am sure its an easy one, but i can't get it, (since I am just starting physics):a bus starts at rest and accelerates at 1.5m/s^2 until it reaches a velocity of 9m/s. The bus continues at this velocity and then decelerates at -2m/s^2 until it comes to a stop 400m from its starting point. How much time did the bus take to cover the 400m? (ans: 50 seconds)Im using basic velocity and acceleration formulas and I can't get the answer.have you tried using a different formula?
wells=mvp
Hi, I just had a question i had trouble answering, I am sure its an easy one, but i can't get it, (since I am just starting physics):

a bus starts at rest and accelerates at 1.5m/s^2 until it reaches a velocity of 9m/s. The bus continues at this velocity and then decelerates at -2m/s^2 until it comes to a stop 400m from its starting point. How much time did the bus take to cover the 400m? (ans: 50 seconds)

Im using basic velocity and acceleration formulas and I can't get the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
wells=mvp said:
Hi, I just had a question i had trouble answering, I am sure its an easy one, but i can't get it, (since I am just starting physics):

a bus starts at rest and accelerates at 1.5m/s^2 until it reaches a velocity of 9m/s. The bus continues at this velocity and then decelerates at -2m/s^2 until it comes to a stop 400m from its starting point. How much time did the bus take to cover the 400m? (ans: 50 seconds)

show us how you work the problem. Have you ever used latex?

Last edited:
wells=mvp said:

there are three types of movement: the acceleration phase, the movement woth constant velocity and the decceleration.

1.To calculate the time and distance during the acceleration and decceleration use:

[tex] a = \frac {\Delta v} {\Delta t}[/tex]

--> distance at these phases: [tex] s = \bar{v} \cdot t[/tex] with

[tex] \bar{v} = \frac {1} {2} (v_{2} - v_{1})[/tex]

2. To calculate the time of the remaining distance with constant velocity use [tex] s = v \cdot t[/tex]

3. Then sum the calculated times to get to the answer: [tex] t = t_{acc} + t_{cst. v} + t_{dec}[/tex]

Last edited:
Alternatively, one could use equations of uniform acceleration.

1. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. In simpler terms, velocity measures how fast an object is moving, and acceleration measures how quickly the object's velocity is changing.

2. How do you calculate velocity?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in an object's position by the time it takes to make that change. The formula for velocity is v = Δx / Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is the change in position, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What is the formula for acceleration?

The formula for acceleration is a = Δv / Δt, where a is acceleration, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the change in time. This formula can also be written as a = (vf - vi) / t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

4. How do you solve problems involving velocity and acceleration?

To solve problems involving velocity and acceleration, you first need to identify what is known and what is unknown. Then, you can use the appropriate equations (v = Δx / Δt for velocity, and a = Δv / Δt or a = (vf - vi) / t for acceleration) to solve for the unknown variable. It is important to pay attention to the units of measurement and use consistent units throughout the calculations.

5. Can velocity and acceleration be negative?

Yes, both velocity and acceleration can be negative. A negative velocity indicates that an object is moving in the opposite direction of its positive direction, and a negative acceleration means that the object is slowing down in its positive direction, or speeding up in its negative direction.