1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Help!

1. Jul 27, 2006 #1
    Hi, I just had a question i had trouble answering, im sure its an easy one, but i cant get it, (since im just starting physics):

a bus starts at rest and accelerates at 1.5m/s^2 until it reaches a velocity of 9m/s. The bus continues at this velocity and then decelerates at -2m/s^2 until it comes to a stop 400m from its starting point. How much time did the bus take to cover the 400m? (ans: 50 seconds)

Im using basic velocity and acceleration formulas and I cant get the answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2006 #2

Pythagorean

Gold Member

show us how you work the problem. Have you ever used latex?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2006
  4. Jul 27, 2006 #3
    there are three types of movement: the acceleration phase, the movement woth constant velocity and the decceleration.

1.To calculate the time and distance during the acceleration and decceleration use:

[tex] a = \frac {\Delta v} {\Delta t}[/tex]

--> distance at these phases: [tex] s = \bar{v} \cdot t[/tex] with

[tex] \bar{v} = \frac {1} {2} (v_{2} - v_{1})[/tex]

2. To calculate the time of the remaining distance with constant velocity use [tex] s = v \cdot t[/tex]

3. Then sum the calculated times to get to the answer: [tex] t = t_{acc} + t_{cst. v} + t_{dec}[/tex]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2006
  5. Jul 27, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Alternatively, one could use equations of uniform acceleration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?