1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Physics help ?

1. Jan 4, 2010 #1
    Physics help!!?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A skydiver has mass of 75g, travelling at 80mph, drag force on skydiver is 650N. Find acceleration of skydiver at 80mph (g=10n/kg??)

2. Relevant equations

Do I use a=f/m
    3. The attempt at a solution
    No attempt - im really stuck!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Neveda! Welcome to PF! :wink:

(do you mean 75kg?)

Yes, use Ftotal = ma.

What is the total force on the skydiver? :smile:

4. Jan 4, 2010 #3
    Re: Physics help!!?

Yes, use a=F/m
    You need to find the resultant force on the diver.
    There are two forces acting on him in this question.

5. Jan 4, 2010 #4

EEk.. I think maybe it is 75kg and the total force is 650N But I have no idea how to even begin to work something like this out :(

6. Jan 4, 2010 #5

The total force is not 650N, that's simply the drag force.

What other forces act on the sky diver?

7. Jan 4, 2010 #6

Thats the only force mentioned in the question - sorry..I need to work out acceleration yes? Do I need to find other forces..? Thanks!

8. Jan 4, 2010 #7

Or could anyone just advise me on how I would work out/answer a question thats similar to above..? Then I can apply the knowledge to those kind of questions..... :)

9. Jan 4, 2010 #8

excuse me if you have already found it but you need to find the force of gravity pulling him downwards.

10. Jan 4, 2010 #9

do you guys in America need to convert your speed of 80mph to SI units of m/s ?

11. Jan 4, 2010 #10

I guess it depends on the units in which they want the answer in. Generally,(in my experience atleast) answers tend to be in SI units.

12. Jan 4, 2010 #11

we always use si in my class. its easier that way. (especially for conversion

13. Jan 5, 2010 #12

Ok..but how do I work out the answer for a question similar to above?!!!! PLease can someone advise??

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook