Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics help

1. Aug 27, 2004 #1
    hi everyone! ok so i was doing my homework and i came upon this one problem which completely stummped me and so if someone could set me in the right direction i would be very thankful! here is the promblem: If a salmon swims sraight upward in the water fast enough to break through the suface at a speed of 5 meters per second, how high can it jump above water?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2004 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Its initial velocity is 5m/s. This will steadily decrease because it is acted upon by constant acceleration g. Figure out using the kinematic formula for velocity as a function of time (with constant accleration) how long it will take for its velocity to become zero (in mid air). And then, use this time in the formula for the height of the salmon as a function of time to get the maximum height it reaches.

4. Aug 27, 2004 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Pretty straight forward. Assume it jumps straight up out of the water [90 degrees]. Next apply the gravitational constant [9.8 meters/sec^2] and do the math.

5. Aug 27, 2004 #4
    [tex] V^2 = {V_o}^2 + 2ad [/tex]

solve for d

[tex] \frac{-{V_o}^2}{2a} = d [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?