1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Help

1. Sep 26, 2004 #1
    This problem set is for my oscillations and wave class; I just can't seem to make any solutions work.

The problem is a mass on spring pendulum with some given coordinates

time(s) displacement(cm) velocity(cm/s) acceleration(cm/s^2)
    1.31 4.00 0 not recorded
    3.67 not recorded not recorded 7.93

what length must the string be? You may need to solve this graphically

that's the question so I started by writing out the equation of motion for a simple harmonic oscillator

x(t) = Acos(wt + phi), w= omega and phi= phase shift and A is max amplitude. However the velocity is 0 at the endpoints and that happens at t=1.31 so A=4

x(t) = 4cos(wt + phi)

then I tried substituing in the coordinate restrictions

x(1.31) = 4= 4cost(1.31w +phi)

0= 1.31w + phi
    phi= -1.31w

Then to get more equations I differentiated and used the restriction on acceleration
    x'(1.31) = -4w sin( w1.31 + phi) =0

x'' (3.67) = 7.93 = -4w^2cos(w1.31+ phi)

which would mean

w = 1.40801

then by the simple harmonic equation

x''(t) + w^2x(t) = 0

x''(3.67) + 1.9825 x(3.67) = 0

x(3.67) = -4

so that would mean that the bob is at the other end and we could fill in the rest of the chart

time(s) displacement(cm) velocity(cm/s) acceleration(cm/s^2)
    1.31 4.00 0 -7.93
    3.67 -4.00 0 7.93

at this point I'm stuck. I don't really know how to finish the question but I feel it is in the right direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2004 #2
    I'm kind of stuck in a circular loop. The derivation of omega I get makes the angle I produce MUCH too large (i.e. 90 degrees) is there another approach I could try (even a suggestion would be appreciated.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?