Solving a Water Pump Problem: How Far Can 6.6 HP Pump Water at 220 gal/min?

In summary, the problem asks for the maximum depth at which a water pump with a 6.6 horsepower motor can pump water at a rate of 220 gallons per minute. The conversation suggests using the equation 1 hp = 33,000 foot-pounds per minute to convert horsepower to force in Newtons. It is also recommended to relate the depth, rate, and power of the motor to solve the problem.
sjsustudent2004
can someone give me some clues or help as to how I'm supposed to go about solving the following problem? my professor has not covered any of the material from this chapter, so i have no idea how to even start this. the question is:

the motor on a water pump is rated at 6.6 hp. from how far down a well can water be pumped up at the rate of 220 gal/min ?

thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
See if maybe your textbook will give you any clues. The 6.6 horsepower rated engine -I'm supposing that means the most it can "crank out" at once- can exert a force on the water equal to approximately 968822.58 Newtons. I get this number through the conversions 1 hp = 33,000 foot-pounds a minute, and 33,000 foot-pounds is right around 1.467913*10^5 Newtons according to the unit converter on my calculator, and then you simply multiply by 6.6. I'm thinking that since the question uses gal/min and 1 hp is 33,000 foot-pounds per minute that you can cancel out time and just deal with Newtons and gallons. I'm not keen on all physics equations, but I hope that this will simplify the work for you.

Lets call the depth as d,
the rate at which it is to be pumped say r,
the power of the motor say p...

look through ur text and see how can u relate these quantities?

-- AI

1. How does a water pump work?

A water pump works by creating a vacuum which sucks water from a lower level and pushes it to a higher level. The pump has an inlet where the water enters and an outlet where it is expelled. This process is powered by a motor or engine that drives a rotating impeller, creating the necessary suction and pressure to move the water.

2. What factors affect the efficiency of a water pump?

The efficiency of a water pump can be affected by factors such as the type of pump, the power source, the size of the pump, the condition of the pump, and the quality of the piping system. Other factors such as the flow rate, head pressure, and the type of liquid being pumped can also impact the efficiency of a water pump.

3. How do I choose the right size water pump for my needs?

The right size water pump will depend on the specific requirements of your project. Factors to consider when choosing the size of a water pump include the desired flow rate, the head pressure needed, and the type of liquid being pumped. It is recommended to consult with a professional or refer to pump size charts to determine the appropriate size for your needs.

4. What maintenance is required for a water pump?

Regular maintenance is important for keeping a water pump in good working condition. This can include checking and replacing worn or damaged parts, cleaning the pump and its components, and ensuring proper lubrication. It is also important to monitor the pump for any signs of leaks or malfunctions and address them promptly.

5. How can I troubleshoot common issues with a water pump?

If your water pump is not working properly, some common troubleshooting steps include checking the power source, inspecting the pump for clogs or damage, and ensuring the pump is properly primed. You may also need to check the valves and piping system for any issues. If problems persist, it is best to consult with a professional for further assistance.