1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics help

1. Feb 24, 2005 #1
    In the following situation, how should I draw a FBD and what forces should I include? A metal rod has a string coming out of one end. The other end of the string is attached to a small mass. The metal rod undergoes spinning action by the hand so that the string with the mass attached spins around the metal rod and is parallel to the ground. The metal rod is held in the hand perpendicular to the ground.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Could you provide a drawing please...?And what is the problem asking...?

Does gravity play a role...?

Daniel.

4. Feb 24, 2005 #3
    Basically the situation is, you are flinging a string with a mass at one end over your head. The strings flies around in circles kind of like a helicopter. My question is, what forces should I include in the FBD. I know there is centripetal force. There should be gravity pulling down, but what counteracts this force (a normal force?)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  5. Feb 24, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Elastic force,centripetal force,gravity force,and tension in the rod...What other forces would be there...?

Daniel.

6. Feb 24, 2005 #5
    I’m just looking for forces acting on the mass at the end of the string

7. Feb 24, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Elastic,gravity and centripetal.But it's difficult to predict which acts how,if you don't provide a drawing ...

Daniel.

8. Feb 24, 2005 #7
    thanks, i'll try to get a drawing

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?