FBD and what forces should I include?

In summary, the conversation is about a situation where a metal rod with a string attached to a mass is spun by hand so that the string is parallel to the ground. The question is about what forces should be included in the free body diagram, with suggestions of centripetal force, gravity, normal force, and tension in the rod. The asker is also looking for a drawing to better understand the situation.
hahaha
In the following situation, how should I draw a FBD and what forces should I include? A metal rod has a string coming out of one end. The other end of the string is attached to a small mass. The metal rod undergoes spinning action by the hand so that the string with the mass attached spins around the metal rod and is parallel to the ground. The metal rod is held in the hand perpendicular to the ground.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you provide a drawing please...?And what is the problem asking...?

Does gravity play a role...?

Daniel.

Basically the situation is, you are flinging a string with a mass at one end over your head. The strings flies around in circles kind of like a helicopter. My question is, what forces should I include in the FBD. I know there is centripetal force. There should be gravity pulling down, but what counteracts this force (a normal force?)

Last edited:
Elastic force,centripetal force,gravity force,and tension in the rod...What other forces would be there...?

Daniel.

I’m just looking for forces acting on the mass at the end of the string

Elastic,gravity and centripetal.But it's difficult to predict which acts how,if you don't provide a drawing ...

Daniel.

thanks, i'll try to get a drawing

1. What is FBD and why is it important?

FBD stands for Free Body Diagram. It is a graphical representation of the forces acting on an object. It is important because it helps us understand and analyze the motion of an object by isolating the forces acting on it.

2. How do I draw a FBD?

To draw a FBD, first identify the object and all the forces acting on it. Then, draw a dot to represent the object and draw arrows to represent each force, labeling them with their magnitude and direction. Make sure to include all external forces such as gravity, friction, and applied forces.

3. What forces should I include in a FBD?

All the forces acting on the object should be included in a FBD. This includes external forces such as gravity and normal force, as well as internal forces such as tension or compression. It is important to include all forces to accurately analyze the motion of the object.

4. How do I determine the direction of the forces in a FBD?

The direction of the forces in a FBD should be based on the direction in which the force is acting on the object. For example, if gravity is pulling the object down towards the ground, the arrow representing gravity should point downwards.

5. Can I include fictitious forces in a FBD?

No, fictitious forces should not be included in a FBD. Fictitious forces, also known as inertial forces, are not actual forces but rather appear due to acceleration or non-inertial reference frames. Only actual forces should be included in a FBD.