How high can a high jumper clear on the moon compared to on Earth?

In summary: I could see in the video.The mark scheme says the athlete lifts his COM 1m on Earth. I have no idea how you are suppose to know this?
Jimmy87

Homework Statement

If a high jumper can clear a 2m bar on Earth, how high is the bar he can clear on the moon assuming it is done under the same conditions as on the Earth. Acceleration due to gravity on the moon is 1.7 m/s^2.

Homework Equations

GPE = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I set mgh on Earth equal to mgh on the moon as the athlete exerts the same starting energy transfer. I got a factor of 5.8 giving the bar on the moon at 11.6m. However, the mark scheme says the athlete lifts his COM 1m on Earth. I have no idea how you are suppose to know this? I get that the COM goes under the bar but what makes it half the height of the bar? This is a proper past exam question and what I have put in the question is all they give you! Please help. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jimmy87 said:
However, the mark scheme says the athlete lifts his COM 1m on Earth. I have no idea how you are suppose to know this?
Good question! Perhaps you supposed to 'estimate' the height of the athlete's COM as being about 1 m off the ground when he leaves the ground. (Not cool for an exam question, unless it's free response and any reasonable estimate is OK.)

Likes Jimmy87
Doc Al said:
Good question! Perhaps you supposed to 'estimate' the height of the athlete's COM as being about 1 m off the ground when he leaves the ground. (Not cool for an exam question, unless it's free response and any reasonable estimate is OK.)
Phew! Glad I wasn't missing something. I have attached the paper and mark scheme - it's question 3b (ii). It doesn't even say the 1m COM is an estimate - it states it as though it is a fact! Thanks

Attachments

• 2003 Past Exam Paper (MS).pdf
    169 KB · Views: 291
  • 2003 Past Exam Paper.pdf
    277.3 KB · Views: 232
Jimmy87 said:
Phew! Glad I wasn't missing something. I have attached the paper and mark scheme - it's question 3b (ii). It doesn't even say the 1m COM is an estimate - it states it as though it is a fact!
Read the question exactly as written in the document you posted. It's a bit sneaky, but you actually have all the info you need -- since the question gives you the answer!

Jimmy87 said:
the mark scheme says the athlete lifts his COM 1m on Earth
This is a common blunder.
A high jumper does not arrive at the bar in a vertical position then jump. Would not go very high that way.
The jump starts with a run up. Approaching the bar, the jumper leans back and bends the legs. A combination of the forward momentum and leg extension from that low position produces the upward velocity needed. So the mass centre has to lifted from rather lower than 1m.

Likes Jimmy87

1. How does physics play a role in high jump?

Physics is essential in understanding the mechanics of high jump. It involves the application of various principles, such as Newton's laws of motion, to analyze the motion of the athlete during the jump. By understanding these principles, one can optimize their technique and improve their performance.

2. What is the ideal angle for the take-off in high jump?

The ideal angle for the take-off in high jump is approximately 45 degrees. This angle allows for the maximum projection of the athlete's center of gravity and minimizes the effect of air resistance. However, the angle may vary depending on the athlete's height and technique.

3. How does the bar's height affect the high jump performance?

The bar's height has a significant impact on the high jump performance. As the bar's height increases, the athlete needs to apply more force to clear it, requiring a higher jump. This increase in force also affects the athlete's technique, making it more challenging to maintain proper form and control during the jump.

4. What is the role of energy conservation in high jump?

Energy conservation is crucial in high jump as it allows the athlete to maximize their jump height. By converting their kinetic energy into potential energy at the top of the jump, the athlete can clear the bar with minimal effort. Additionally, energy conservation also helps in minimizing the impact on the athlete's body upon landing.

5. How does air resistance affect high jump performance?

Air resistance can significantly impact high jump performance. As the athlete jumps, they must overcome the force of air resistance, which increases with speed and surface area. To minimize its effect, athletes often use techniques such as the Fosbury flop, which reduces the surface area exposed to air resistance. Furthermore, air resistance also affects the athlete's landing, making it challenging to maintain balance and control upon impact.