1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics homework help -- roller coaster car is going over the top of a 18m radius circular rise

1. Oct 9, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A roller coaster car is going over the top of a 18-m- radius circular rise. At the top of the hill, the passengers "feel light," with an apparent weight only 60% of their true weight. How fast is the coaster moving?

2. Relevant equations
    I think F=mv^2/ (r)
    F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    Attempt:
    F=mv^2/r
    (.6)g=v^2/r
    (9.8*.6)r=v^2
    5.88*18=v^2
    v=10.3 m/s My answer is said to be wrong

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This is not advanced physics, so moving to the intro physics section.

4. Oct 9, 2014 #3
    You did not calculate what the question asks.
    It's not the centripetal force which is 60% of the weight.
    Draw a diagram with all the forces.

5. Oct 10, 2014 #4
    OK well if I am solving for the velocity of the moving coaster, how would I do that because I've drawn the diagram with forces and I don't see it.

6. Oct 10, 2014 #5
    Write Newton's second law for circular motion. The acceleration is the centripetal acceleration.
    What is the expression for the net force at the top of the hill?

7. Oct 10, 2014 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If they only felt 0.6 of their weight then the centripetal force on them is 1- 0,6= 0.4 of their weight.

8. Oct 10, 2014 #7
    Yeah I actually just figured it out, that is the only thing I messed up... Should be
    F=mv^2/r
    (.4)g=v^2/r
    (9.8*.4)r=v^2
    3.92*18=v^2
    v=8.4m/s
    Thanks for helping you guys

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted