1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Homework Help.

1. Feb 23, 2005 #1
    I have two questions from a worksheet that i am having problems over. It is over Newton's laws. They are:

A late traveler rushes to catach a plane, pulling a suitcase with a force directed 30.0 degress above the horizontal. If the horizontal component of the force on the suitcase is 60.6 N, what is the force exerted on the handle. I believe the answer is 70.0 N, but don't know how to get the answer.

A book with a mass of 2.0 kg is held in equilibrium on a board with a slope of 60.0 degress by a horizontal force. What is the normal force exerted by the book? Don't know what the answer is.

If anyone can I would like a explotation how to get the answers and how to figure them out. Private msg. me if they get legthy by any means. Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2005 #2
    1.) 60.6N/cos(30) = 70N

for the second one I don't remember how to for sure, so I don't want to give you a false answer.
  4. Feb 23, 2005 #3
    well these are multiple choice so what do get and I can see if one of them is correct. But if it was right I would like to know how you got it and what you had to do.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?