Physics Homework: Solving Vectors in a Collision

In summary, the problem involves a collision between a car and a truck at an angle of alpha, with initial velocities u and a combined velocity of v after the collision. Part a) and b) have been solved, and for part c), the velocity can be found by plugging in alpha = pi/2 into the equation v = u/5 squareroot of (17+8 cos alpha). The direction is given by the expression tan theta = 4 sin alpha / 4 cos alpha + 1. To find the minimum value of alpha, u can be treated as a constant and the minimum of the function can be calculated.
BilloRani2012

Homework Statement

A car weighing m kg, and a truck, weighing 4m kg, collide at an angle of alpha. Initially they are traveling at the same velocity. After the collision they move off together at an angle of theta.

a) show that tan(theta) = (4 sin alpha) / (4 cos alpha + 1)

b) Show that if their initial velocity is u the velcoity that they move off at is
v = u/5 squareroot of (17+8 cos alpha)

c) Find the velocity and direction they move off at if alpha = pi/2. What value of alpha gives the minimum velocity?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive done a) and b). BUT for part c) do i just sub alpha=pi/2 into the equation to find v. But the u is unknown too...so what do i do?

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, if you plug in alpha = pi / 2 that will give you the velocity that they move off at. The direction is given by the expression you had earlier.

For the minimum value... how do you calculate the minimum of a function? When you do the calculation, you can treat u as a constant.

okay...

i put pi/2 for alpha and got a v = square root of 17u/5. Is that right?

but how do i find the direction. You said The direction is given by the expression you had earlier. Do mean the direction is given by this expression: tan theta = 4 sin alpha / 4 cos alpha + 1 ??

i really need help for part c) becuase in the equation there is 2 unknowns --> u and alpha??
so i do i find the minimum value of alpha??

so how do i find the minimum value for alpha?

1. What is a vector in physics?

A vector in physics is a quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is represented by an arrow, where the length of the arrow represents the magnitude and the direction of the arrow represents the direction. Vectors are used to describe motion, forces, and other physical quantities.

2. How do you add vectors in physics?

To add two vectors in physics, you must first draw them on a coordinate system. Then, you can use the parallelogram rule or the head-to-tail method to find the resultant vector. The resultant vector is the sum of the two original vectors. It is important to take into account the direction and magnitude of each vector when adding them.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude and no direction, whereas a vector has both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalars include temperature, time, and speed. Examples of vectors include displacement, velocity, and force.

4. How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem. This means that you square the x-component and the y-component of the vector, add them together, and then take the square root of the sum. Alternatively, you can use the formula: magnitude = √(x^2 + y^2).

5. Can vectors be negative?

Yes, vectors can have negative components. This means that the direction of the vector is in the opposite direction of the positive axis. For example, if a vector has an x-component of -5, it means that the vector is pointing in the negative x-direction with a magnitude of 5 units.