Physics homework resistivity

In summary, the conversation is about a person who is struggling with a physics homework question involving resistivity. They have already calculated the resistance of the wire, but now need to find the resistivity using the equation r=pl/a. They ask for tips on rearranging equations and are reminded to use consistent units.
thunderstorm
hi, i am doing my physics homework at the moment, and i have got stuck on the last part of a question. it is asking for the resistivity of the wire- the values i have are
length of wire 2.5m, cross sectional area 2.0mm squared, current of 3.0a flowing through driven by p.d. of 4.5V. the first part of the question had me work out the resistance of the wire which i got as 1.5ohms.
i understand the equation for resistivity is
r= pl/a where p is the resistivity, l is length, a is area of wire and r is resistance?
so do i rearrange this equation to work it out? sorry for sounding stupid, i get confused easily and I'm not very good at rearranging equations, any tips? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, you just rearrange the equation. Be careful to use consistent units: e.g., convert the cross-sectional area from square millimeters to square meters.

Hi there,

No need to apologize, we all have trouble with certain concepts and equations at times. It's great that you have already calculated the resistance of the wire, as that is an important part of finding the resistivity.

To rearrange the equation, you can follow these steps:

1. Start with the equation r = pl/a
2. Multiply both sides by a: ra = pl
3. Divide both sides by l: ra/l = p
4. Rearrange the equation to isolate p: p = ra/l

Now you can plug in the values you have for resistance (r), length (l), and area (a) to solve for the resistivity (p).

I hope this helps! Don't be too hard on yourself, rearranging equations can be tricky but with practice, it will become easier. Keep up the good work on your physics homework!

What is resistivity?

Resistivity is a measure of the resistance of a material to the flow of electric current. It is represented by the Greek letter rho (ρ) and is measured in ohm-meters (Ω⋅m).

How is resistivity calculated?

Resistivity is calculated by dividing the resistance of a material by its cross-sectional area and length. The formula is ρ = R x A / L, where ρ is resistivity, R is resistance, A is cross-sectional area, and L is length.

What factors affect resistivity?

Resistivity is affected by the type of material, temperature, and the presence of impurities. Some materials, like metals, have lower resistivity while others, like insulators, have higher resistivity. Temperature can increase resistivity, while impurities can decrease it.

What is the relationship between resistivity and conductivity?

Resistivity and conductivity are inversely related. This means that as resistivity increases, conductivity decreases and vice versa. Conductivity is the measure of a material's ability to conduct electric current, and it is the inverse of resistivity.

How is resistivity used in real-world applications?

Resistivity is used in various real-world applications, such as determining the quality of a material, designing electrical circuits, and understanding the behavior of materials in different environments. It is also an essential concept in the study of electricity and magnetism, and it plays a crucial role in the development of new technologies and materials.