Find Delta r for Particle Displacement of 65m in 41° Direction

In summary, The conversation is about a person struggling to find the answer for y in a problem involving a particle's displacement. They have attempted to find the x value using cos(41)*65 but are unsure how to find y. It is suggested that the issue may be due to the fact that the particle was displaced below the x-axis, making y negative.
IUBritt09
:grumpy: Hey! I have been trying this problem forever and can't seem to figure out the answer for y. I thought that I was supposed to take sin(41)*65?? But that answer keeps coming up as wrong?? Any help would be amazing!

A particle undergoes a displacement of magnitude 65 m in a direction 41° below the x axis. Express in terms of the unit vectors y and x.

find: Delta r= _____X + ______y

I am unsure how to fingue out how to get my y value. For x I took cos(41)*65=48, but I am unable to figure out how to find y?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you taken into account the fact that the particle was displaced below the x-axis and thus y is negative?

That problem would not occur if you took 41 degrees below the x axis, as 319 degrees absolute.

What is particle displacement?

Particle displacement is the distance between the initial and final position of a particle or object, measured in a specific direction.

What is the value of delta r in this scenario?

The value of delta r, or change in displacement, is 65m.

What does the number 41° represent?

The number 41° represents the direction of the particle displacement in degrees, measured relative to a reference direction.

How is particle displacement calculated?

Particle displacement can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse (in this case, delta r) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides (vertical and horizontal displacement). In this scenario, the calculation would be: delta r = √(vertical displacement² + horizontal displacement²).

What units are typically used for particle displacement?

Particle displacement is typically measured in meters (m) or any other unit of length, depending on the system of measurement being used.