Solving Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle: Help Needed

In summary, the minimum uncertainty in position is achieved when there is equality for momentum and delta p.
jaidon
A ball of mass 50g moves with a speed of 30 m/s. If its speed is measured to an accuracy of 0.1%, what is the minimum uncertainty in its position? What does this answer indicate about the relevance of quantum mechanics to macroscopic objects?

I am completely confused. My prof just gave us HUP but didn't explain how to use it.

I know: (delta p)(delta x) > h /2, where h is actually h bar i just don't know how to type it.

I think i need to sove for delta x, but i have tried similar problems that i have the answers to and I'm not even close.

please, if anyone can help me understand this i would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Indeed solving for [itex]\Delta x[/itex] is correct. Why don't you show us the work you've done.

honestly i haven't figured out where to start.
i can get momentum by multiplying the mass and the speed. i wanted to multilpy that by 0.1% to get a delta p value and then solve for delta x. this is the method i used for other questions, and i did not get the right answer.

also i am not sure what is significant about the fact that it asks for the minimum uncertainty.

That sounds right. Post your calculations.

Since you know the uncertainty in momentum, and [itex] \Delta p \Delta x \geq \frac{\hbar}{2}[/itex], the minimum uncertainty in position is achieved when there is equality.

p=0.05kg * 30 m/s = 1.5 kgm/s.

1.5 kgm/s * 0.1% =0.0015 kgm/s

(delta x) > h/(2Delta p) where h is h bar ie) h/2pi

delta x > 6.626*10^-34/ (4 *pi* 0.0015)

delta x > 3.52*10^-32

like i said, i tried this method with another question, but i gave the kinetic energy and a 5% accuracy in the momentum. for that, i calculated the velocity from 1/2mv^2 and then multiplied by the mass. then i multiplied that value by the 5% and used the same method above for determining delta x, and i was way off. I'm not too sure about this whole HUP thing.

thanks

Yes, that looks right.

Can you post the other question (that your answer was wrong for) in its entirety (preferably verbatim)?

i just realized that i kept repeatedly using the same wrong number to figure out the other question. now i get it exactly right. thanks for your input on the my original question. guess I'm not as lost as i thought.
thanks.

Good :)

I really would like to be able to make one word replies. asdf

1. What is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, also known as the Uncertainty Principle, is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This is due to the wave-particle duality of quantum objects, where the more precisely one property is measured, the less precisely the other property can be known.

2. Why is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle important?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is important because it sets a fundamental limit on the precision of measurements in the quantum world. It also provides a foundation for the understanding of quantum mechanics and has implications in various fields such as quantum computing and nanotechnology.

3. How is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle calculated?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is not a mathematical formula, but rather a fundamental principle that is derived from the mathematical formalism of quantum mechanics. It is often expressed in terms of the standard deviations of position and momentum measurements, stating that the product of these uncertainties must always be greater than or equal to a certain value.

4. Are there any ways to overcome the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

No, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle that cannot be overcome. However, there are ways to minimize the uncertainties by using more precise measurement techniques and reducing external disturbances on the quantum system being measured.

5. How does the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle relate to the observer effect?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is often confused with the observer effect, which refers to the act of observation itself affecting the behavior of a quantum system. While the two concepts are related, the observer effect is a result of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, as the act of measurement inevitably affects the state of the system being measured.