Solve Physics Homework Problem: Car at Traffic Light

• Thread starter jcz2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation is about a physics homework problem involving a car at a traffic light and its distance from the light given by a mathematical equation. The question is how long it takes for the car to return to rest after starting from rest. The conversation includes a discussion of setting the equation to zero and using calculus to solve the problem. There is also a mention of the importance of considering velocity in the solution.
jcz2
Physics homework problem...please help!

Homework Statement

A car is stopped at a traffic light. It then travels along a straight road so that its distance from the light is given by x(t) = b*t^2 + c*t^3, where b= 2.60 and c= 0.110 .

Homework Equations

How long after starting from rest is the car again at rest?

The Attempt at a Solution

i made the x(t) = 0 and i solved for t, and i got t = 0 and t = 23.6364, but when i put in t = 23.6364 in the solution it was wrong..can someone please help me...did i do this wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

From a quick look, the distance seems to be increasing monotonically. What am I missing?

First off, answer me this. When you set x(t) to zero, what exactly is it that you're setting to zero. Hint: Is it velocity that you're setting to zero?

Second, are you taking or have you taken basic calculus? If not then you are probably leaving out some information. If so, then do you know of any relationship between position and velocity?

P.S.- Technically if you solved that equation, you had to get zero (twice) and a negative 23.XXX, but it doesn't do much good to solve a (seemingly) position equation first (and only) when you need to start with velocity.

What is the physics concept behind solving a car at a traffic light problem?

The physics concept behind solving a car at a traffic light problem is Newton's First Law of Motion, which states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

What are the key variables to consider when solving a car at a traffic light problem?

The key variables to consider when solving a car at a traffic light problem are the car's initial velocity, the total time it takes to reach the traffic light, and the distance between the car and the traffic light.

How do I determine the acceleration of a car at a traffic light?

To determine the acceleration of a car at a traffic light, you can use the equation a = (v - u) / t, where a is the acceleration, v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, and t is the time it takes to reach the traffic light.

What are the steps to solving a car at a traffic light problem?

The steps to solving a car at a traffic light problem are as follows:
1. Identify the given variables and write them down.
2. Determine the unknown variables and write them down.
3. Use the appropriate equations (such as the equation for acceleration) to solve for the unknown variables.
4. Check your solution by plugging in the values and making sure the units are correct.
5. Write your final answer with the appropriate units.

How does the mass of the car affect its acceleration at a traffic light?

The mass of the car does not affect its acceleration at a traffic light. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. However, in a car at a traffic light problem, the net force acting on the car is zero since it is at rest, therefore the mass does not affect its acceleration.