Solve Physics HW: Find Net Force at t=2.00s

• Thread starter scirfy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, a 3.00kg object moving in a plane has x and y coordinates given by x=5(t^2)-1 and y = 3(t^3) + 2, where x and y are in meters and t is in seconds. The magnitude of the net force acting on this object at t=2.00s can be found by first finding the 2nd derivatives of the functions, which are 10 and 18t. Then, using the equation F=ma, the acceleration at t = 2.00 can be found and used to calculate the net force on the object.
scirfy

Homework Statement

A 3.00kg object is moving in a plane, with its x and y coordinates given by x=5(t^2)-1 and y = 3(t^3) + 2, where x and y are in meters and t is in seconds. Find the magnitude of the net force acting on this object at t=2.00s

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

i know i need to find the 2nd derivatives of the functions but i don't know if I am doing that right. i got 10 and 18t? I am not sure what to do with them though.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi scirfy! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
scirfy said:
A 3.00kg object is moving in a plane, with its x and y coordinates given by x=5(t^2)-1 and y = 3(t^3) + 2, where x and y are in meters and t is in seconds. Find the magnitude of the net force acting on this object at t=2.00s

i know i need to find the 2nd derivatives of the functions but i don't know if I am doing that right. i got 10 and 18t? I am not sure what to do with them though.

that's correct, the acceleration is (10, 18t) at time t

now you need to find the acceleration at t = 2.00, and then use F = ma to find the force :smile:

1. How do I calculate net force for a physics homework problem?

To calculate net force, you will need to first identify all the forces acting on an object, including magnitude and direction. Then, use Newton's second law of motion (F=ma) to find the net force by adding all the individual forces together.

2. What is the unit of measurement for net force?

The unit of measurement for net force is Newtons (N). This is a derived unit that represents the amount of force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram at a rate of one meter per second squared.

3. How do I find the acceleration to calculate net force?

To find acceleration, you will need to know the mass of the object and the net force acting on it. Then, use the formula a=F/m to calculate the acceleration. Once you have the acceleration, you can use Newton's second law (F=ma) to find the net force.

4. Can you show an example of calculating net force for a specific time?

Yes, for example: If an object has a mass of 5kg and is experiencing a net force of 10N at t=2.00s, the acceleration would be 2m/s^2 (calculated by a=F/m = 10N/5kg = 2m/s^2). To find the net force at t=2.00s, we use Newton's second law: F=ma = (5kg)(2m/s^2) = 10N.

5. Is there any other way to calculate net force besides using Newton's laws?

Yes, you can also use vector addition to find the net force. This involves breaking down the individual forces into their components and adding them together using vector addition techniques. However, for simpler problems, using Newton's laws is usually the most efficient method to calculate net force.