1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics hw

1. Jun 14, 2005 #1
    I already posted this but i think i may have a better idea how to do this.

Suppose 1.16g of pure gold has zero net charge. What would be its net charge after it has 1% of its electrons removed????

(1.16g/196.966 g/mol* 6.022E23* 1.602E-19 C) .99= 562.477 C

IS THAT RIGHT????

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2005 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you remove X electrons, you remove a charge of (-1.602E-19 C)x. If the net charge is initially zero, it ends up being (1.602E-19 C)x. x = 0.01N, where N is the total number of electrons. N = pq, where p is the number of electrons that a gold atom has, and q is the number of gold atoms in 1.16g of pure gold. q = (m/M)A, where m = 1.16g is the mass of the gold, M is the molar mass of gold, and A is Avogadro's number, 6.022E23. I have a feeling your calculation is wrong. For one, I don't know why you're multiplying by 0.99 (you should be multplying by one minus 0.99). Also, you don't take into account the fact that gold atoms have more than one electron.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?