1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Hwk. Problem: Center of Mass

1. Oct 18, 2004 #1
    With the engines off, a spaceship is coasting at a velocity of +250 m/s through outer space. The ship carries rockets that are mounted in firing tubes, the back ends of which are closed. It fires a rocket straight ahead at an enemy vessel. The mass of the rocket is 1200 kg, and the mass of the spaceship (not including the rocket) is 2.0*10^6 kg. The firing of the rocket brings the spaceship to a halt. What is the velocity of the rocket?

I used the equation vcm=m1*v1+m2*v2 divided by m1+m2. The answer I got is wrong. Am I using the right equation? Please Help ASAP!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The initial mass of the rocket, spaceship combination is 2001200 kg and its speed is 250 m/s so its momentum is 500300000 kgm/s. The momentum of the spaceship after firing the rocket is 0 so its momentum then is 0. The momentum of the rocket is
    1200vr and that must equal the original total momentum:

1200vr= 500300000.

I have no idea why you are using "vcm" since the problem does not say anything about the center of mass!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?