1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Hwk. problem: Conservation of Linear Momentum

1. Oct 18, 2004 #1
    55 kg swimmer is standing on a stationary 225 kg floating raft. The swimmer then runs off the raft horizontally with a velocity of +4.4 m/s relative to the shore. Find the recoil velocity that the raft would have if there were no friction and resistance due to the water.

I used the equation vf2=-m1*vf1 divided by m2, but the answer is wrong. Did I use the wrong equation? Please Help!!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2004 #2
    Hey I had this same homework problem. Almost exactly infact. The only thing different is your raft weighs 225kg and mine weighed 230kg. And I got the problem correct so I think I can help you.

The equation you are using is correct. What was your answer?
  4. Oct 19, 2004 #3
    Physics Hwk. Problem: Conservation of Linear Momentum

Thanks, the answer i got is -1.08.
  5. Oct 19, 2004 #4
    That should be the correct answer then. Unless your using webassign and it requires 3 significant digits. Then you are rounding too soon.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?