Solve for Launch Velocity Components in a Football Field Goal Attempt

• Thread starter shawonna23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses a football game where a kicker attempts a field goal. The ball remains in contact with the kicker's foot for 0.050 seconds and experiences an acceleration of 390 m/s2. The ball is launched at an angle of 54° above the ground, and the task is to determine the horizontal and vertical components of the launch velocity. The conversation also includes a request for help in solving the problem and a warning to not trust any given answer without verifying it.
shawonna23
In a football game a kicker attempts a field goal. The ball remains in contact with the kicker's foot for 0.050 s during which time it experiences an acceleration of 390 m/s2. The ball is launched at an angle of 54° above the ground. Determine the horizontal and vertical components of the launch velocity.

vx = ? m/s
vy = ? m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this should be in the homework section.

[tex] a = \frac{v - v_o}{t} [/tex]
[tex] 390m/s^2 = \frac{v - 0m/s}{0.050s} [/tex]

I think you know how to do the rest. If you dont, ask away.

Can u show me how to do the rest of the problem so I can make sure that I'm doing the problem the correct way.

Why don't you show us what you're doing then I'm sure someone will be happy to check your work.

shawonna23 said:
Can u show me how to do the rest of the problem so I can make sure that I'm doing the problem the correct way.

Personally, I wouldn't trust an answer given by anyone stupid enough to fall for that!

1. What is the problem with my physics homework?

The problem with your physics homework could be a number of things. It could be that you are struggling to understand the concepts, or you are having trouble applying the equations correctly. It could also be that you are having difficulty with the mathematical calculations. It's important to identify the specific issue in order to find a solution.

2. How can I get unstuck on my physics homework?

One way to get unstuck on your physics homework is to review your notes and textbook. Make sure you understand the concepts and equations being used. It can also be helpful to try working through similar problems or seeking help from a tutor or classmate.

3. Is it normal to get stuck on physics homework?

Yes, it is completely normal to get stuck on physics homework. Physics can be a challenging subject, and it's common for students to struggle with certain concepts or problems. Don't get discouraged and remember that seeking help is always an option.

4. How can I improve my understanding of physics?

To improve your understanding of physics, it's important to actively engage in the material and practice regularly. This can include working through practice problems, attending lectures and discussions, and seeking help when needed. It can also be helpful to form study groups with classmates and discuss concepts together.

5. What resources are available to help me with my physics homework?

There are many resources available to help with physics homework, including textbooks, online tutorials, and study guides. Your teacher or professor may also have office hours or offer extra help sessions. Additionally, you can seek help from a tutor, classmate, or online forums and communities. It's important to utilize all available resources to improve your understanding and succeed in your physics homework.