What Are Innovative Physics Extended Essay Topics for the IB Program?

In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking advice on their IB Physics extended essay, specifically on the topic of creating a Gauss Rifle and conducting an experiment to analyze its magnetic properties. The student also asks for suggestions on other topics for their essay. Another participant in the conversation cautions against choosing a topic solely for its visual appeal and suggests an experiment involving rolling objects down a ramp and analyzing the data to demonstrate knowledge and skills in physics.
Superdemongob
So, I've browsed PF and found it to be awesome in terms of advice.
I've already read some of the threads that about the IB Physics extended essay.

Some basic information:
Education level is Grade 11/12
I can handle quite advanced physics.
The actual Extended Essay is a 4000 word in depth report on a specific topic.

Those who will tell me about how science EEs are graded low, don't bother, i know that and the only reason I'm doing a physics EE is because i suck too much at other subjects. Physics is the only thing I'm good at.

The help i need is sort of split into two parts.

1. Advice on current topic.
I'm thinking of making a Gauss Rifle, similar to a coil gun but with perma-magnets.
I'll then investigate why the bearing accelerates and other magnetic field properties.

2. Suggestions of other topics.
Are there any other cool experiments any of you have done that i might be able to do, analyse and then produce a 4000 word report on.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks a ton,
SGD

Physics news on Phys.org
If you mean the one like this: http://scitoys.com/scitoys/scitoys/magnets/gauss.html
I would caution that there is very little physics to analyze and little opportunity to show off your experimental skills. I made one of those and it is pretty neat to see but the explanation only takes a couple of sentences.

I would look for an experiment that provides lots of data to analyze, something non-linear that calls for some skill in analyzing. Avoid being tempted by the spectacular when your objective is to impress with your knowledge and skill in physics.

Just as a thought, consider the old experiment of rolling marbles, cylinders and tubes down a ramp, across a short horizontal stretch and then into projectile motion off a table to the floor. Begin by analyzing the data as if you didn't have a theory for the answer - graph the horizontal flight distance vs the initial height of the marble on the ramp or tube. That isn't a straight line so you can't find the formula and you try various other graphs until you do get a formula. You can use conservation of energy and projectile motion analysis to predict the horizontal distance of flight. You will find that the prediction is off significantly, and the amount varies with the type of rolling object. This is due to a type of energy that you likely don't take in high school, but which is first on the list of new topics in college physics. You may well think of it yourself (or get help from a college text or friend), learn a bit of new physics to complete the analysis.

As a fellow physicist, I understand your enthusiasm for the subject and your desire to take on a challenging topic for your Extended Essay. I commend you for seeking advice and guidance before diving into your project.

First of all, I would like to address your concern about science EEs being graded lower. While it is true that science EEs tend to receive lower scores compared to other subjects, this does not mean that your EE will automatically receive a low grade. As long as you choose a topic that you are genuinely interested in and execute it well, you have a good chance of achieving a high grade.

Now, onto your current topic idea. It sounds like you have a good understanding of physics and are interested in exploring magnetic fields. A Gauss Rifle is definitely a cool experiment, but I would suggest delving deeper into the theory behind it rather than just building and testing it. This will allow you to demonstrate your understanding of the principles involved and showcase your analytical skills.

As for other topic suggestions, here are a few ideas to consider:
1. Investigating the physics behind the motion of a pendulum and how it relates to the length of the string, mass of the bob, and angle of release.
2. Analyzing the physics of sound and how different materials affect the pitch and volume of a vibrating string.
3. Exploring the physics of fluid dynamics by studying the flow of water through different shaped pipes or containers.
4. Investigating the properties of light through experiments with lenses, prisms, and mirrors.
5. Examining the effects of temperature and pressure on the behavior of gases using Boyle's and Charles's laws.

Ultimately, the most important aspect of your Extended Essay is your passion and dedication to your topic. Choose something that genuinely interests you and allows you to showcase your understanding and analytical skills. I wish you the best of luck with your EE and I am confident that with your enthusiasm for physics, you will produce an excellent report.

1. What is the recommended structure for a Physics IB Extended Essay?

The recommended structure for a Physics IB Extended Essay includes an introduction, background theory, methodology, results, discussion, and conclusion. It is also recommended to include a clear research question, hypothesis, and to use appropriate citations and references throughout the essay.

2. How long should a Physics IB Extended Essay be?

A Physics IB Extended Essay should be around 4000 words in length. This word count includes all sections of the essay, such as the introduction, methodology, results, and discussion. It is important to keep the essay concise and focused on the research question.

3. Can I conduct my own experiments for a Physics IB Extended Essay?

Yes, you can conduct your own experiments for a Physics IB Extended Essay. However, it is important to ensure that the experiments are feasible and safe to conduct. It is also recommended to have a mentor or supervisor to guide and supervise the experiments.

4. What are some possible research questions for a Physics IB Extended Essay?

Some possible research questions for a Physics IB Extended Essay include: How does the angle of a pendulum affect its period? What is the effect of temperature on the resistance of a wire? How do different shapes of parachutes affect their descent rate? How does the mass of an object affect its acceleration when it is pulled by a constant force?

5. How important is data analysis in a Physics IB Extended Essay?

Data analysis is a crucial component of a Physics IB Extended Essay. It is essential to analyze and interpret the data collected in order to draw meaningful conclusions and support the research question. It is recommended to use appropriate graphs, tables, and equations to present and analyze the data.