Exploring Top Physics IB IA Topics for Your Internal Assessment

In summary, when choosing a topic for a Physics IB IA, it should be specific, able to be investigated using scientific methods, and align with IB assessment criteria. To select a suitable research question, consider your area of interest, narrow it down to a specific question, and ensure it is feasible and manageable. The type of data collected should be relevant and collected using appropriate methods. The structure of the IA should include an introduction, background theory, methodology, results, analysis, and conclusion. Secondary data can be used, but should be accompanied by primary data and properly cited.
MPZ
Hello, I am currently studying Physics HL in the IB Diploma Program, I am getting ready to work on the exploration internal assessment. I was wondering if there are any good topics that I should consider, thanks <3

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you considered and what are the criteria for the exploration that you must do?

1. What is an appropriate topic for a Physics IB IA?

An appropriate topic for a Physics IB IA should be focused on a specific concept or phenomenon related to the subject. It should also be able to be investigated using scientific methods and data analysis, and should align with the IB assessment criteria.

2. How do I choose a suitable research question for my Physics IB IA?

To choose a suitable research question, you should first identify your area of interest within the subject and then narrow it down to a specific research question that can be investigated using scientific methods. It should also be feasible and manageable within the given time and resources.

3. What type of data should I collect for my Physics IB IA?

The type of data collected for a Physics IB IA should be relevant to the research question and should be collected using appropriate methods. This could include quantitative data such as measurements and calculations, or qualitative data such as observations and interviews.

4. How should I structure my Physics IB IA?

Your Physics IB IA should follow a clear and logical structure, including an introduction, background theory, methodology, results, analysis, and conclusion. It should also include relevant diagrams, tables, and graphs to support your findings.

5. Can I use secondary data for my Physics IB IA?

Using secondary data is allowed for a Physics IB IA, but it should be used in conjunction with primary data collected by the student. If using secondary data, it is important to properly cite and reference the sources and explain how it relates to the research question.