[Physics]Impact of Bs in Calculus 1-3 at Junior College

In summary, the person is finishing their AA degree and plans to transfer to the University of Maryland for physics. They are worried about their B grades in calculus and are wondering if they should retake the courses for higher grades. However, they excel in mathematics and are advised to focus on other courses and build relationships with professors for strong recommendation letters. They are also encouraged to get involved in research and not to stress about their past grades.
neporuoydnim
I am finishing an AA degree at my local community college this spring. After I hope to transfer in the fall to University of Maryland for physics. I am worried sick that graduate schools (or even UMD) will deny me because of my Bs in calculus 1-3. What judgement should I expect because of this? Should I retake at UMD for As? They will be transferring for credit on my degree, along with Differential Equations which I will be scoring an A in :wink:.

Mathematics has always come very easy and intuitive to me. The grades are the problem. I had some rough times in life that led to those marks. I'm otherwise a top student.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can still get into any university for graduate school - graduate school in physics, math and chemistry is not medical school. Grades are not the entire game.

Here's some advice I would give.

Get to know your professors. Letters of recommendation are more important than grades so make sure you have people who know you well enough to write good letters.

When you transfer to a university, get involved in research.

And, of course, if you get B's in calculus but you go on to get A's in linear algebra, differential equations, complex analysis and more, few people, in any, will care about those B's.

Don't stress, you're ok.

1. How does studying calculus impact my understanding of physics?

Calculus is a fundamental mathematical tool used in many areas of physics. By studying calculus, you will gain a deeper understanding of concepts such as motion, forces, and energy, which are crucial in understanding the laws of physics.

2. Can studying calculus help me solve more complex physics problems?

Yes, studying calculus can greatly improve your problem-solving skills in physics. Calculus enables you to analyze and model more complex physical systems by providing tools such as derivatives and integrals.

3. Is it necessary to take calculus before studying physics?

While it is not necessary to take calculus before studying physics, it is highly recommended. Many concepts in physics rely on the use of calculus, and having a strong foundation in calculus can greatly aid your understanding of physics.

4. What are the benefits of taking calculus courses at a junior college?

Junior colleges often offer smaller class sizes and more personalized instruction, which can be beneficial for students struggling with calculus. Additionally, taking calculus courses at a junior college can save money and provide a smoother transition into a university setting.

5. Are there any specific topics in calculus that are particularly important for studying physics?

Some important topics in calculus for studying physics include derivatives, integrals, and differential equations. These concepts are used to analyze motion, forces, and energy, which are all crucial in understanding the laws of physics.