Physics in Astronomy: Graduate-Level Courses

In summary, the conversation discusses the relevance of upper-division and graduate-level physics in the field of astronomy, particularly in research on star and galaxy formation. The speaker expresses interest in this area but also mentions difficulty with concepts such as special and general relativity. It is noted that these concepts are fundamental to current research in astronomy and astrophysics. The difficulty level of astronomy graduate courses is compared to core physics courses.
creepypasta13
So I'm curious as to how much upper-div and graduate-level physics is actually used in astronomy (grad-level courses), since I hear a lot that they're very related. I'm pretty interested in the research in numerical simulations of star and galaxy formation.

I've seen some general lecture notes for upper-div Star Formation classes, and it looked pretty interesting as it used concepts from classical physics, a little quantum, and almost no E&M. But I saw some lecture notes for a Black Holes and Galaxies class, and it used a lot of special and general relativity, which I hate. What else should I expect at the graduate level? Does it get as difficult as the level of Jackson's E&M?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you "hate" special and general relativity, perhaps astronomy/astrophysics is not the place for you. These fundamental concepts permeate most current research.

phyzguy said:
If you "hate" special and general relativity, perhaps astronomy/astrophysics is not the place for you. These fundamental concepts permeate most current research.

Well its not so much hate as it is that those concepts are very difficult for me to learn. How is the difficulty in Astro grad courses compared to the core Physics courses (mech, E&M, quantum, thermo)?

What is the purpose of studying Physics in Astronomy at the graduate level?

Studying Physics in Astronomy at the graduate level allows scientists to understand the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of celestial bodies and the universe as a whole. It also prepares students for advanced research and careers in fields such as astrophysics, cosmology, and planetary science.

What are some of the core concepts covered in graduate-level Physics in Astronomy courses?

Some of the core concepts covered in graduate-level Physics in Astronomy courses include classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and astrophysics. These concepts are essential for understanding the motion, energy, and interactions of celestial objects.

What skills do students develop through studying Physics in Astronomy at the graduate level?

Students develop a variety of skills through studying Physics in Astronomy at the graduate level, including critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and mathematical modeling. They also gain hands-on experience with advanced laboratory techniques and computer simulations.

What types of career opportunities are available for those with a graduate degree in Physics in Astronomy?

Graduates with a degree in Physics in Astronomy can pursue careers in research, academia, and industry. Some common job titles include astrophysicist, cosmologist, planetary scientist, data analyst, and research scientist. They may also work in government agencies such as NASA or in private companies that specialize in aerospace technology.

What are some current and emerging topics in the field of Physics in Astronomy?

Some current and emerging topics in the field of Physics in Astronomy include dark matter and dark energy, gravitational waves, exoplanets, and the search for extraterrestrial life. Other areas of research include the study of black holes, the formation and evolution of galaxies, and the origins of the universe.