Physics in everyday life

Hi there!

So to wrap up the year in AP Physics 1, we have to take videos or pictures of physics in everyday life. Two of my situations are:

1. Situation where you have greatest net torque
2. Situation where acceleration changes both speed and direction at same time

For the first one, I was thinking of a seesaw, or a big wrench because if you have a big wrench since torque= force x distance the bigger distance would result in a greater torque?

For the second one, I was thinking of a swing? But had trouble explaining how the speed is changing while on a swing?

Please help if you can, and maybe give your own input!

Thank you!

Answers and Replies

The seesaw and swing are both great ideas.

For the seesaw you can explore the force needed to lift someone or something of N pounds exploring the distances needed and the placement of the someone/thing on the other side of the seesaw.

The swing is like a pendulum so look that up in your book for details.

CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
1. Situation where you have greatest net torque
For the first one, I was thinking of a seesaw,
Humm.. Is a seesaw more fun when the net torque is very high or low(er)? I think the wrench might be a better idea.

2. Situation where acceleration changes both speed and direction at same time
For the second one, I was thinking of a swing? But had trouble explaining how the speed is changing while on a swing?
Good idea. Perhaps think about how the speed of the swing changes as it slows to a stop at the high point and what happens afterwards. Perhaps make a table like this and fill it with words like left/right, increasing/decreasing, positive, negative...

swing.jpg