PhD in US for M.Sc Physics India H4 Visa Holders

In summary, -the H4 visa is a non-immigrant visa, so changing to an F-1 requires you to file an I-539 change of status application, which costs $250 if I remember correctly. -First, talk to the counselor at your university, they should be able to help you. They will give you a form to fill out. This form is usually called the Certification of Finances, which requires you to prove availability of funds in the U.S. This form usually involves you visiting your bank a couple times, so be patient with it.-Once you fill this out and submit it to your university you get the I-
asha D
Hi everybody

Iam asha right now iam in u.s on h4 visa..i complted my m.sc physics in India and now i would like to do my ph.d in u.s...what will be university fee for h4 visa holders and what is the process to join in ph.d in u.s universities and how to transfer h4 visa to F1

please somebody guide me.

Physics news on Phys.org

I believe most visas charge between $150-250 for application and processing. Diplomatic visas do not have any fees, but the H4 is not a diplomatic visa.

The H4 visa is a non-immigrant visa, so changing to an F-1 requires you to file an I-539 change of status application, which costs $250 if I remember correctly.

First, talk to the counselor at your university, they should be able to help you. They will give you a form to fill out. This form is usually called the Certification of Finances, which requires you to prove availability of funds in the U.S. This form usually involves you visiting your bank a couple times, so be patient with it.

Once you fill this out and submit it to your university you get the I-20 issued by your university. With the I-20, you go to the Department of State's website and apply for the I-539. This involves a $250 fee I mentioned above, and this may involves you visiting the Department of State office to get your visa stamped into your passport. If you do not have a social security number, you will also have to get one by visiting an office of the Department of State. It is a good idea to get a social security number ASAP if you plan on an F series/J series visa.

Any questions, I would recommend you to talk with your university's counselors, and perhaps immigration officers at the Department of State offices. Many American cities have some offices that offer these services.

The time it takes for the visa to be processed depends on the visa you are switching into, and not on the visa you are switching from. An F-1 takes a significant time, usually a month as opposed to the A-1 diplomatic visa which takes about a day. So be prepared to do this in advance.

BiP

Thanks a lot for your valuable information...
And another thing is till now i didn't went to any university over here..sooo how should i apporach to university counselors...do i need to clear any GRE,TOEFL exms and first how get into the university for ph.d here...

please suggest me.
asha D

No one can answer those questions in general- they all depend upon the individual university.

asha D said:
Thanks a lot for your valuable information...
And another thing is till now i didn't went to any university over here..sooo how should i apporach to university counselors...do i need to clear any GRE,TOEFL exms and first how get into the university for ph.d here...

please suggest me.
asha D

I assumed you were already living in the United States and attending your college!
The university will NOT issue you an I-20 unless you are actually a student who plans to attend their university. And attending their university will not happen until you are first accepted to the university, which is in itself the longest of these processes.

So if you are saying you have not yet applied to university, then you should do that first. Universities vary in their PhD requirements. What you should do is first learn the names of a wide variety of universities, and then make an application checklist. Don't just apply to big name universities, because they are notorious for rejecting even the best applicants.

To apply to university, go to that university's website and then go to the graduate school of admissions page. It will tell you application instructions, as well as the requirements. It will tell you important deadlines, and you should organize your plan somehow to minimize chances of missing deadlines.

Some universities charge a fee just for application. Some universities require you to take the TOEFL to prove proficiency in English. Some require the GRE. Some require the GRE subject test in Physics if it is a Physics PhD. All will require your undergraduate transcript and that you actually received an undergrad degree in your own country. Letters of Recommendation may also be required, which include letters written by your undergrad professors in which they vouch for your academic and human potential. Make sure you know the school's requirements, and do your best in fulfilling each requirement. You are competing against the world, so do your best.

If you have questions regarding admissions, you should ask the university's admissions office whose contact information are often available on the university website.
If you have questions regarding visa transfer, you should ask the university's international student services officer, whose contact information are also available on the university website.

The visa transfer is impossible to do until you actually are accepted into and have plans of attending the university.

BiP

Nvm.

1. What is a PhD in US for M.Sc Physics India H4 Visa Holders?

A PhD in US for M.Sc Physics India H4 Visa Holders is a doctoral degree program in the United States specifically designed for individuals who hold a Master of Science (M.Sc) degree in Physics from India and are currently on an H4 visa. This program allows individuals to pursue advanced research and academic study in the field of physics, leading to a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree.

2. What are the eligibility requirements for a PhD in US for M.Sc Physics India H4 Visa Holders?

The eligibility requirements for a PhD in US for M.Sc Physics India H4 Visa Holders may vary depending on the specific university or program. Generally, applicants must hold a Master of Science degree in Physics from an accredited university in India, have a valid H4 visa, and meet the minimum academic and English language proficiency requirements set by the university.

3. What are the benefits of pursuing a PhD in US for M.Sc Physics India H4 Visa Holders?

There are several benefits to pursuing a PhD in US for M.Sc Physics India H4 Visa Holders. These include access to top research facilities and resources, exposure to diverse perspectives and ideas, networking opportunities, and the potential to secure high-paying jobs in academia, research, or industry.

4. How long does it take to complete a PhD in US for M.Sc Physics India H4 Visa Holders?

The duration of a PhD in US for M.Sc Physics India H4 Visa Holders may vary depending on the university and the specific research area. On average, this program can take anywhere from 4 to 6 years to complete. However, some universities may offer accelerated programs that can be completed in a shorter period of time.

5. Are there any funding opportunities available for a PhD in US for M.Sc Physics India H4 Visa Holders?

Yes, there are various funding opportunities available for international students pursuing a PhD in US for M.Sc Physics India H4 Visa Holders. These may include scholarships, grants, teaching or research assistantships, and fellowships. It is recommended to research and apply for these opportunities early on in the application process.