Can I pursue physics after a degree in mining engineering?

In summary, if you have a degree in mining engineering, you can still pursue your interest in physics through additional courses or outside opportunities. The curriculum for a mining engineering course may include courses in mineralogy, geology, rock mechanics, mine design, surveying, and environmental engineering, with additional topics in mathematics, engineering, chemistry, and physics.
aim1732
I grew up wanting to be a physicist.I love the subject.But in my country people wanting to study theoretical sciences have to take the same path as the engineering aspirants--at least to get into the good schools.And here's the problem it has caused--although I qualified the exam I was allotted a Mining Engineering course owing to my low rank.Although i believe the college I have got is one of the best for Earth Sciences I am disappointed as far as my actual dreams are concerned.

So my question is:Is there a way I can pursue physics even after a mining engg. degree?And please describe the curriculum of the mining course and the physics in it if somebody has studied that.Please note that i have already made the choice so suggesting I chuck it is not an option.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, there is a way that you can pursue physics even after a mining engineering degree. Depending on your school, there may be courses available that will allow you to delve further into physics. You may also be able to take courses outside of your college in order to gain more knowledge and experience in the field. Additionally, you could attend seminars or join professional organizations related to physics in order to stay connected and learn more. As for the curriculum of the mining course, it will largely depend on the school. Generally, however, it will involve topics such as mineralogy, geology, rock mechanics, mine design, surveying, and environmental engineering. It may also include courses in mathematics, engineering, and chemistry. In addition, some schools offer courses in mining safety, economics, and computer applications. As for the physics in the course, it may include topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, and material science.

1. What is the role of physics in mining engineering?

Physics plays a crucial role in mining engineering as it helps us understand the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of materials and energy in mining processes. This knowledge is essential in designing safe and efficient mining operations.

2. How is the knowledge of physics applied in mining engineering?

In mining engineering, knowledge of physics is applied in various aspects such as rock mechanics, fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and electricity. These concepts are used to design and operate mining equipment, analyze the stability of mine structures, and optimize the use of energy and resources.

3. Can you give an example of how physics is used in mining engineering?

One example of how physics is used in mining engineering is in the design of ventilation systems for underground mines. By applying principles of fluid mechanics, engineers can determine the most efficient way to circulate air in a mine to ensure the safety and comfort of workers.

4. How does understanding the properties of materials help in mining engineering?

Understanding the properties of materials is crucial in mining engineering as it allows engineers to choose the most suitable materials for different applications. For example, knowing the strength and durability of rocks helps in selecting the right type of support for underground mine openings.

5. How is physics used in safety measures for mining operations?

Physics is used in various safety measures for mining operations. For instance, the principles of mechanics are applied in designing support systems for mines to prevent rockfalls and cave-ins. Additionally, knowledge of thermodynamics is used to prevent and control fires and explosions in mines.