What are the Physics Opportunities in Montreal, Canada?

In summary, the conversation discusses a person's search for physics-related job opportunities in Montreal. Suggestions include reaching out to local universities, such as McGill, and considering companies like Bombardier and Lockheed Martin. There is also mention of a new planetarium opening in the city. One person offers to provide general information about Montreal if needed.
mef51
Hi everyone,

I'm starting Co-op next winter and I'm looking for a job in Montreal. I'm not sure what kind of physics opportunities there are in the city. I know that Bombardier is in the area and that they may have jobs related to physics. There may also be opportunities at the universities there like McGill.

Does anyone have any experience they can share?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not really familiar with the opportunities available in Montreal either, but one thing you can do is reach out to some local universities. Try talking to some people in the Physics department (or even engineering, math, cs if that can be applicable to you) and see if they have any advice/ideas.

That's definitely a good idea.

Lockheed Martin also has offices there and they do lots of work similar to to Bombardier.
A new planetarium opened there too. Though I doubt it would be a very technical position I wonder if they need people who know their astronomy.

I'm not familiar with physic-related jobs , but if you ever have a general question about Montreal feel free to pm me , I've live there all my life.

Cheers and good luck!

for your question! Montreal is definitely a great city for physics opportunities. As you mentioned, Bombardier is a major player in the aerospace industry and they often have openings for physicists in their research and development department. Additionally, there are several universities in Montreal that have strong physics departments, including McGill, Université de Montréal, and Concordia University. These universities often have research positions and collaborations with industry partners, providing a diverse range of opportunities for physicists. I would also recommend checking out job listings on websites such as Indeed or LinkedIn to get a better idea of the current job market for physics in Montreal. Best of luck in your job search!

What is the main focus of physics research in Montreal?

The main focus of physics research in Montreal is in the field of theoretical and experimental particle physics, with a particular emphasis on high energy physics and cosmology. This is due to the presence of world-renowned institutions such as McGill University, Université de Montréal, and the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics.

Are there any unique facilities for physics research in Montreal?

Yes, there are several unique facilities for physics research in Montreal, such as the TRIUMF laboratory which houses the world's largest cyclotron and the Canadian Light Source synchrotron facility. There is also the Institute for Research in Astrophysics and Planetology (IRAP) which specializes in planetary science and astrophysics.

What opportunities are available for students interested in studying physics in Montreal?

There are many opportunities for students interested in studying physics in Montreal. The city is home to top-ranked universities with strong physics programs, offering undergraduate, graduate, and PhD degrees. Students also have the opportunity to work with world-renowned researchers and participate in cutting-edge research projects at various facilities and institutes.

What is the physics community like in Montreal?

The physics community in Montreal is vibrant and diverse, with a strong emphasis on collaboration and innovation. There are many networking opportunities for researchers and students, including conferences, seminars, and workshops. The community also actively engages with the public through outreach activities and events.

Are there any notable advancements or discoveries in physics made in Montreal?

Yes, there have been several notable advancements and discoveries in physics made in Montreal. For example, the Nobel Prize-winning discovery of neutrino oscillations was made by researchers at the Sudbury Neutrino Observatory, which is led by a team at Université de Montréal. Additionally, Montreal is home to the largest dark matter search experiment, DEAP-3600, which is located at SNOLAB in Sudbury, Ontario.