Maximizing Solar Energy Output: The Role of Physics in Solar Tracker Design

• Thread starter zaf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses a student's final year dissertation project on a solar tracker. The student, who is a Physics undergraduate, is facing a problem as their project supervisor believes there is not enough emphasis on Physics in the project. The student is seeking help on how to incorporate more Physics into the project and considers adding a water pipe to make it more 'physical'. The conversation also suggests alternative options such as using a solar telescope or focusing on studying properties of the sun.
zaf
Being a Physics undergraduate student, I'm doing my final year dissertation on a solar tracker which dynamically tracks the sun at all times and gives the maximum pd from a solar panel. However, I'm faced with a problem that I'm having problems to resolve!
My project supervisor tells me that there are not enough 'Physics' in this project in the sense that all the facts about PV cells are known and the solar tracker's circuit is an electronic engineering problem which is readily available via the web!

So, can anyone help me of how to counter this problem? I need something concrete that will lay emphasis on the Physics of the solar tracker because I'm a Physics student, not an Electronic and Electric Engineering student.
I hope that I'll receive quality replies from anyone that has a profound knowledge on the subject!
Regards,
zaf

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't your advisor right? Is there time to pick another project?

When I was an undergrad, a thesis was required, but not necessarily in my deparment. So I could use a EE thesis for a physics degree. That might be an option for you.

I'm afraid that this might not be an option for me because our department is not associated in any means to the EE department! I've done some pretty research on this project, so if I change, I'll have to start from zero and start everything afresh!

I'm considering of improving the system and instead of making the tracker ONLY from PV cells, I'm thinking of adding a water pipe so that water can be heater and thus making the project more 'PHYSICal'. New ideas are welcomed on how to add Physics to the project.
Thanks you for your prompt answer...

You have a crude solar telescope. You might be able to spin something off of that.

Or you could replace the solar panels with a proper solar telescope and study sunspots or the corona or some other property of the sun.

1. What is the definition of physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the natural world.

2. Why is physics important?

Physics is important because it helps us understand the world around us and how it works. It also provides the foundation for many other scientific disciplines, such as chemistry, biology, and engineering.

3. How is physics used in everyday life?

Physics has many practical applications in everyday life, such as in technology and engineering. For example, the principles of electricity and magnetism are used in household appliances, and the laws of motion are applied in designing vehicles and transportation systems.

4. What are the main branches of physics?

The main branches of physics are classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, relativity, quantum mechanics, and optics. These branches cover different aspects of the physical world, from the behavior of large objects to the behavior of subatomic particles.

5. How can I learn more about physics?

There are many ways to learn more about physics, such as taking classes, reading books and articles, watching videos, and participating in experiments and demonstrations. It is also helpful to engage in critical thinking and problem-solving activities to deepen your understanding of the subject.