Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics in starwars

1. Dec 12, 2005 #1
    Physics in starwars!!

(Not sure about if i'm posting in the right section)
    I haven't seen any starwar movie (only in commercials) and recently i heard there making a religion about starwars. Well anyway... why is it that the only thing scientists can't make from the movie is the lightsabers?

If you can, try to figure out a way to make one?
    P.S. I do know its all fiction!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Actually, the things that can't be made are the propulsion devices. Faster than light is impossible, period. Something similar to a lightsabre is possible given a strong enough power source. It won't be quite the same, but still... The artificial intelligence thing is still iffy, but we can't rule it out.
    The Force, of course, is purely fiction, but it's not something that was supposedly created by people anyhow.

4. Dec 12, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I'm only going off of what i hear about the movie series and I agree with Danger, there are more then a couple things in the series that just don't work in the real world. The thing with the lightsaber is that you are trying to somehow control a beam that simply does not want to stay put and do it in a way that the mechanism that controls can be stationary and out of the way.

As far as the propullsion devices... they seem to be from what ive seen in commercials nad clips here and there... a load of BS. I also don't remember seeing any thrusters other then the main one which makes me wonder how on earth these people are moving in free space with no gyroscopic thrusters (if thats the word)... kinda like how the space station or satellites or the space shuttle move in different directions other then straight forward.

I also remember seeing some huge blue balls of god knows what being thrown at strange giraffe/kangaroo hybrids... yah i wont even go there

5. Dec 12, 2005 #4
    There's also the whole "ship engines making noise in a vaccum" thing :wink:

6. Dec 12, 2005 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Don't be dissing Star Wars...BTW...I agree with everything so far. I just had to stick up for it.

7. Dec 12, 2005 #6

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So, how's the religion? :biggrin:

8. Dec 12, 2005 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

My force is strong.

9. Dec 12, 2005 #8
    My swartz is bigger than yours.

10. Dec 12, 2005 #9

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, and don't forget all the explosions.

The Star Wars galaxy must be in a very oxygen-rich region of outer space. :rofl:

11. Dec 12, 2005 #10
    Speaking of the Force in Star Wars, heres something I found in Wikipedia:

"c. 25,200 BBY - The Force is discovered by many groups across the galaxy; many dismiss them as mystic crackpots."

Intriguing, isn't it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dates_in_Star_Wars

12. Dec 12, 2005 #11
  13. Dec 13, 2005 #12

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

About Star Wars, I don't know, but there's a great little book which is "The Physics of Star Trek", which is fun to read.

14. Dec 13, 2005 #13

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

The thing that I always found incredulous about lightsabers is that they are able to stop each other, but I remember reading on starwars.com that they aren't actually light beams; they're force fields molded into the shape of a saber, and I suppose they are capable of cutting through anything but another saber.

Actually, I do believe there may have been something in the EU about a yellow lightsaber that was developed which could cut through other lightsabers, but the technology was abandoned by its developer as it was thought to be too dangerous.

15. Dec 13, 2005 #14

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If I remember correctly, they can't cut through the Yuuzhan Vong amphistaff's either

16. Dec 13, 2005 #15

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Taken from "The Laws of Anime", many of which are applicable to sci-fi.
    "Law of Sonic Amplification, First Law of Anime Acoustics
    In space, loud sounds, like explosions, are even louder because there is no air to get in the way."

17. Dec 13, 2005 #16

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Episode III had a new and annoying visual feature...missiles with smoke trails in outer space. That's another good one.

18. Dec 13, 2005 #17

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

Great link:biggrin: ...my favorite:

Law of Nominative Clamovocation

(from Luiko-Ysabeth and Adrian Hsiah)

The likelihood of success and damage done by a martial arts attack is directly proportional to the volume at which the full name of the attack is announced

19. Dec 13, 2005 #18

matthyaouw

Gold Member

This one is also quite relevent:

20. Dec 13, 2005 #19

Danger

Gold Member

There are two approaches to it that I've been toying with, although neither would appear to be possible with current technology. Both would require far more power than any current batteries could provide.
    The first would be to have a pre-fusion temperature plasma contained in a tubular magnetic field. The second is to have a high-intensity laser firing along the major axis of the sabre through a half-silvered parabolic mirror to another parabolic mirror on the end of a thin rod. The idea is to keep the beam confined to a straight back-and-forth path. There are probably quite sound optical principles that would prevent that, but I don't know about optics so I won't let it bother me. :biggrin:

21. Dec 13, 2005 #20

DaveC426913

Gold Member

The bit on the end is always the tricky part. We've seen them drive the beams directly into solid hullmetal. There can't be any physical component on the end of the beam.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?