What Are the Emerging Opportunities for Startups in Physics?

• Physics
  • Thread starter gaussianblur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, there are various opportunities for startups in the field of physics, particularly in the software and IT industry. Many startups focus on specialized software for engineering or offer consulting services in applied physics or engineering. Other startups may specialize in fields such as organic semiconductors, thin film deposition, or medical devices. While these startups may have specific requirements, it is worth inquiring with them for potential job opportunities.
gaussianblur
What opportunities are there for startups in physics? I'd imagine startup companies aren't doing theoretical or astrophysics. Do they design software, make game technologies...?

Physics news on Phys.org
gaussianblur said:
What opportunities are there for startups in physics? I'd imagine startup companies aren't doing theoretical or astrophysics. Do they design software, make game technologies...?

There are indeed many physicists who founded startups in the software / IT industry. The most famous one is probably one of the founders of SAP.
I have come across software companies that provide specialized software for engineering that requires some physics knowledge (such as: numerical solutions of the heat transfer equation).

In my country you could also become a consulting engineer focussed on some field in applied physics or engieering, e.g. optics, acoustics, building technology (as I understood other discussions here this is not the same everywhere and in the US you really need to have a degree in engineering to do this).
Typically you would be engaged in planning and implementing related systems. You might also develop a standardized product - I can remember a physics startup that developed a technique to create thin diamond coatings.

Last edited:
A few years ago during my job search I saw lots of startups. Organic semiconductors, various thin film deposition technologies and medical device manufacturers are some I can remember. I even worked at a startup almost a decade ago, prior to getting my Masters.

Whether they exist now, I don't know, but when I was looking for them I found them. The problem was that they all had very specific requirements in mind - they were looking for PhD's in the area they were working in. Sometimes inquiring with them turns up more general lab tech jobs that aren't posted, but you may or may not be interested in that.

1. What types of industries can a physicist work in within the private sector?

Physicists can work in a variety of industries within the private sector, including technology, aerospace, energy, healthcare, and finance. They may also find opportunities in consulting firms, research and development companies, and start-up companies.

2. What job roles are available for physicists in the private sector?

Physicists in the private sector can hold a variety of job roles, such as research scientist, data analyst, engineer, consultant, and project manager. They may also work in product development, quality control, and technical sales.

3. How does the work of a physicist in the private sector differ from that in academia?

In the private sector, physicists typically work on applied research and development projects that have practical applications and direct impact on a company's products or services. They may also have more collaborative and interdisciplinary work environments compared to the more solitary work of academia.

4. What skills are necessary for a physicist to be successful in the private sector?

Along with a strong foundation in physics principles, successful physicists in the private sector also possess skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, data analysis, and project management. They may also need to have skills in programming, communication, and teamwork.

5. What are the potential career growth opportunities for physicists in the private sector?

Physicists in the private sector can advance their careers through gaining experience and expertise in their chosen industry or job role. They may also have opportunities for leadership positions or to move into management or executive roles. Additionally, pursuing continued education and professional development can open up new career opportunities.