1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics in the UK

1. Jul 24, 2009 #1
    Hi all
    I'm a sixteen year old girl from Iran who has lived in the UK for a few years. I'm living in Iran right now but my brother studies pharmacy in Sunderland University and I might want to go back to England for my Uni as well. The thing is that I hardly know anything about the educational system in the UK. I don't know, for instance, how I should get into university. I don't know what I should consider for choosing a subject either. I mean, what factors are the most important? I only know that I love physics! I could really do with some 'academic guidance' :blushing:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2009 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since your brother has been there and done it, it might be a good idea to ask him for his advice first. Secondly, check out university websites and see what they say about their physics departments and how you should apply. If you get a chance to visit any universitie, take that chance. It is very important that you're comfortable with your environment.

4. Jul 24, 2009 #3
    hmm, why dont you ask your brother for more info? well i suggest you take the a level or international baccalaureate (ib) exams and then use the results to apply to the universities of your choice. you can apply via ucas. some universities require you to have letter of recommendations from your teachers. and some will ask you to write an essay on specific topic. usually they ask for your motivation in the subject. obviously if you have won any major physics competitions that will be a big plus.

well i guess if you love physics then go for it. but your academic performance in the subject has to be outstanding as well. your maths must be good too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook